The Center for Volunteer Caregiving will host an interest session to recruit volunteers interested in serving as drivers for the elderly and people with disabilities. The meeting will be from 3 to 5 p.m. May 20 at the Eastern Regional Center, 1002 Dogwood Drive, Zebulon. Contact Evangela Turnage, Eastern Regional Center, 919-404-3915 or Evangela.Turnage@ wakegov.com.
Boys & Girls Club orientation
Current and new members of the Zebulon Boys & Girls Club must attend orientation to be eligible to participate in the club’s summer programs. The orientation will run from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, May 21. Those registering will need to have with them the last four digits of their social security number and $7.50 (cash or check) for membership dues for 2015. For more information call club director Jason Jones at 919-404-1087.
Zebulon pool open house
The Zebulon Swimming Pool Association is hosting an open pool for individuals or families seeking membership, 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday, May 24, at 309 West Glenn St. A full size swimming pool with 2 diving boards, and a baby pool, is always staffed by at least two Red Cross certified lifeguards. Memberships available include Full Season, Half Season, Family or Single/Couples. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
Little Miss Archer Lodge meeting
The Little Miss Archer Lodge Pageant will take place this summer. An interest meeting will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 27, under the picnic shelter at the park. Contestants must be completing kindergarten through third grade and must live in the Archer Lodge Fire District or have participated in one of the Archer Lodge sports leagues.
Community Health Fair
A community health fair will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. May 30, at Knightdale United Methodist Church, 7071 Forestville Road in Knightdale. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact John Ellis at 919-418-0325.
Rex Mobile Blood Drive
Knightdale Parks and Recreation is partnering with Rex Blood Mobile for a blood drive, 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday, May 30, at Knightdale Station Park. All information is confidential. For more information or to register, go to http://www1.mysignup.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?datafile=kprd.
Zebulon Road Race
The Greater Zebulon 5K Road Race and a one mile fun run will be held June 6. Registration opens at 6:30, and the race begins at 8 a.m. at the Zebulon Municipal Complex, 1003 N. Arendell Ave., Zebulon. Early registration is also available for the event. Register by May 22 for 5K race for $20. Cost rises to $25 after that. Registration for the walk is $15. For more information or to register, go to http://ecrr.us/events/greater-zebulon-2014/.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Knightdale Station Park will host Food Truck Thursdays every week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 810 N. First Avenue.
Relay for Life events
▪ The Relay Road Runners are benefiting from the Friday, June 5 Glow in the Park Run at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary. To register and receive 10 percent off the registration fee, visit glowintheparkrun.com and use the promo code RELAYGLOW. For more information, contact Becky Deitrick at 919-523-8062.
▪ Clyde’s Chapel will host a car show Saturday, June 6 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, contact Saundra Freeman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. These classes will be held at Knightdale High School. For more information, contact 919-431-7593 or wcpss.net/adult-edu.
▪ Weight Training and Conditioning: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through June 25; $225.
▪ Phlebotomy: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, May 26-June 18; $450.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Wake Senior Center events
The East Wake Senior Center offers fitness and line dance classes, crafts, sewing classes and more for the active senior. The Center is located at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
▪ The Center offers a a Zumba Gold class with instructor Maria Bolanz from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesdays. Also, a yoga class with instructor Laura Wilson from 1 to 2 p.m. Fridays.
▪ The Gardening program and the Summer Planting Kickoff will be 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 20.
▪ Shag/Ballroom Classes are 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays starting June 3 and ending July 22. Classes are held for 8 weeks. Men and women are needed.
▪ Learn Tai Chi with instructor Norma Ferrell, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Thursdays. This is a 6 week class.
▪ The Senior Center offers acrylic art classes by instructor John Duzs from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays. A supply list for the class is available at the center. No experience necessary.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ East Regional Library offers storytime for various ages. Baby Storytime is 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Toddler Storytime is 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. Preschool Storytime is 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Family Storytime is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
▪ 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays: JobLink Job Assistance will offer help navigating job websites and submitting online applications.
▪ Learn about the new Book Club Assistance Service. Make an appointment with a librarian for help selecting and scheduling titles for your book club.
Zebulon Community Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.
Wendell Community Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade on Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m. 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ The K-5 Adventures takes place at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
▪ Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays.
▪ Storytime for toddlers is at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays.
Ready to Learn classes
The Eastern Region Ready to Learn program offers free classes at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com, or Janice Squires at 919-365-0921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.