Business after hours
The Knightdale, Wendell and Zebulon chambers of commerce will have their business after hours event 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 3 at the Ford showroom, Leith Auto Park East, 5300 Rolesville Road, Wendell. Dinner, doorprizes and more will be offered.
Outdoor movie night
A back-to-school outdoor movie night presented by Marissa Stone, Little Miss Archer Lodge, will be held at 7 p.m. Sept. 4, at Archer Lodge Community Park. The movie is “An American Tail.” Guests are asked to bring a donation of school supplies or $5 to benefit local students and schools.
Never miss a local story.
The non-profit Zebulon Swimming Pool, 309 W. Glenn St., Zebulon, is offering half-season memberships through Labor Day.
Chamber Golf Classic
River Ridge Golf Club will host the 21st Annual Knightdale Chamber Golf Classic, with a 9 a.m. shotgun start, Sept. 11. The course is at 3224 Auburn-Knightdale Road, Raleigh.
Knightdale Station Park will host Community Day 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 12.
Raleigh Little Theater will partner with Knightdale Parks & Rec to offer classes at the Knightdale Recreation Center starting Sept. 12 (http://raleighlittletheatre.org/learn/youth/knightdale.html).
Scouting round-up night
Cub Scout Pack 522 will meet at 7 p.m. weekly on Mondays beginning September 14 at Zebulon Baptist Church.
Little Miss & Mr. Wendell Contest
Help support Little Miss & Mr. Wendell contestants in raising money for the local Wendell food pantries. The money raised by the contestants will be divided among the food pantries to prepare for the holiday season. Little Miss & Mr. Wendell will be chosen based on the girl and boy that raise the most money. Winners will be crowned after the Harvest Festival parade on Oct. 3. Contestants must register by Sept. 14. For more information, call 919-365-6318 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wendell Farmer’s Market will host its first annual 5K run at 8:30 a.m. Sept. 19, at the corner of Pine St. and Wendell Blvd. Cost is $25 per person, $80 for a team of 4. Dress like your favorite veggie. Prizes for race winners and best costume. Visit wendellchamber.com/ for more information.
Boy Scouts Chicken BBQ sale
Boy Scout Troop 524 is holding its annual chicken BBQ plate sale at 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, Zebulon Baptist Church, 400 N. Arendell Ave. Plates are $8 and include 1/2 BBQ chicken, potatoes, green beans, roll and dessert. Dine-in or drive through. All proceeds helps pay for camping, troop supplies, uniforms, summer camp, awards, patches, and merit badges. For information, or to buy tickets call Annie Burke, 919-606-9884.
Zebulon Parks & Recreation offers a package to Charleston, S.C. Oct. 19-21. Trip includes two nights at hotel, two breakfasts, two dinners, a guided tour, explore Middleton Place, boat cruise to Fort Sumter, visit to Charleston Tea Plantation and a stop at City Market. $409 per person-double occupancy, $509 per person-single occupancy, deposit due Aug. 12. Final payment due Sept. 9. Contact Debbie Wheless at 919-823-0432.
Knightdale Parks & Recreation offers a trip to New York City Dec. 7-10. The trip includes four days, three nights, two dinners, Broadway show, guided tour of Brooklyn. $559 per person-double occupancy, $709 per person-single occupancy. Final payment is due Oct. 16. Call 919-217-2232 for more information.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Knightdale Station Park will host Food Truck Thursdays every week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 810 N. First Ave. Food trucks include: Cousin’s Maine Lobster on Sept. 3, American Meltdown on Sept. 10, D’Burritos on Sept. 17 and Bulkogi Korian BBQ on Sept. 24.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Wake Senior Center events
The East Wake Senior Center is offering a month of health-related programs. The center is located at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
▪ Blood Pressure and Glucose Checks from 9:30 a.m. to noon Sept. 9.
▪ Flu Shot Clinic with Walgreens from 9:30 a.m. to noon Sept. 10. Forms are required to be completed before your Flu Shot, call for more info.
▪ Peripheral Arterial Scans from 9:30 a.m. to noon Sept. 22.
▪ Retinal Screening with Prevent Blindness from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sept. 23.
▪ Hearing screenings from 9:30 a.m. to noon Sept. 29.
The East Wake Senior Center offers the following fitness and dance classes and more for the active senior. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
▪ Fit and Strong classes from 8:30 to 10 a. m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, through September 4. Call 919-365-4248 for more information or stop by the center to enroll. The class is designed to help older adults with lower body arthritis.
▪ Zumba Gold with instructor Maria Bolanz from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
▪ Acrylic art classes by instructor John Duzs from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays. A supply list for the class is available at the center. No experience necessary.
▪ Yoga classes with instructor Laura Wilson from 1 to 2 p.m. Fridays.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ Harper Lee & Sweet Tea, 3:30 p.m. Sept. 19, at East Regional Library. Watch a documentary about southern author Harper Lee followed by a discussion over tea and cookies. Registration required.
▪ East Regional Library offers storytime for various ages. Baby Storytime is 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Toddler Storytime is 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. Preschool Storytime is 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Family Storytime is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
▪ JobLink job assistance will offer help navigating job websites and submitting online applications 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays.
▪ The new book club assistance service can help select and schedule titles for book clubs. Make an appointment with a librarian.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 North First Ave. Pilates is a system of exercises that improve physical strength and flexibility and enhance mental awareness. For adults 18 and older. $5.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for children ages 2 to 5, at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ The K-5 Adventures takes place at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
▪ Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays.
▪ Storytime for toddlers is at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.
The Wake County Public School System will offer classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. These classes will be held at Knightdale High School. For more information, contact 919-858-1735.