Carlton Vinson and Brandi Dockery are teaching shag lessons at the Community Center. The beginners class is at 7 p.m. and the beginners 2 class is at 8 p.m. every Thursday night. $40. To register: please come to the Community Center 15 minutes before the first class time. For more information go to www.ncshaglessons.com.
Donations of gently used coats needed
Zebulon United Methodist and the Brown Bag Lunch Ministry are planning the 5th annual Warming the Heart of the Community ministry, which will be held at the Zebulon United Methodist Church on Saturday, Nov.14. Hot food will be served to those in need and each person will be given a gently used coat, blanket, gloves or other warm clothing. You can help by: donating gently used coats from your family, friends, and neighbors; donating blankets, scarves, gloves or new socks; helping to spread the word to the community; and making a cash donation to help with the cost of the hot meal. Donations may be dropped off at the church office, on the corner of N. Church St. and Sycamore Ave., Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Contact 919-269-9408.
Never miss a local story.
Relay for Life events
▪ East Wake Relay for Life will meet Tuesday, Nov. 17, from 7-8 p.m at Wendell Baptist Church, 3651 Wendell Boulevard. The public is invited to join the fight against cancer. Join an existing team or crate your own team. For more information, call 919-210-6888.
▪ The Jingle Bell Express Craft Fair will open to the public Saturday, Nov. 21, from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Wendell Baptist Church, 3651 Wendell Boulevard. Check out the craft booths in the Elf’s Work Room, eat in the Reindeer Food Court (serving breakfast and lunch until food is gone) and visit Santa’s Photo Corner. This event is an opportunity to do some early Christmas shopping and support the East Wake Relay for Life at the same time. For more information, call 919-210-6888.
Support Group for Caregivers
The Support Group for Caregivers, sponsored by Resources for Seniors, is led by a trained Alzheimers facilitator. Regular meeting dates are from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month (due to Veteran’s Day the November meeting will be on the 18th), at the Wendell Community Center, 601 West Third St., Wendell. A confidential safe place to share one’s challenges, frustrations, sadness, and loneliness with others. To register call: 919-365-4248.
The Healthy Enrichment Lifestyle Program will host a free Thanksgiving luncheon Nov. 26 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Wendell Woman’s Club, 10 Cypress St., Wendell. Volunteers and donations are needed. Call Brenda Hinton at 919-592-2669 for more information.
The Healthy Enrichment Lifestyle Program will hold an indoor yard sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 27 at the Wendell Woman’s Club, 10 Cypress St., Wendell. Vendors can contact Brenda Hinton at 919-592-2669 or 919-269-6449 to reserve a table.
▪ Curbside loose leaf collection is under way now in Knightdale. Please move any loose leaves to the curb for collection while avoiding utility boxes, mailboxes and other obstacles. Keep branches and other debris separate. Go to http://bit.ly/1NrFLVX to find leaf collection dates for each neighborhood.
▪ The Turkey Leg 5K will take place at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 26, at Knightdale Station Park Amphitheater, 810 N. First Ave. $20 per person. Race Day check-in begins at 7:30 a.m.
▪ The Knightdale Christmas tree lighting will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Dec. 4, at Knightdale Station Park Amphitheater. Activities include: writing letters to Santa, visiting with Mrs. Claus, taking a train ride, food trucks and more entertainment.
▪ The Knightdale Christmas parade will take place at 2 p.m. Dec. 5, beginning at Knightdale Elementary and ending at Knightdale Station Park. Park & Ride begins at 11 a.m. in the Walmart parking lot.
Forms for the vendor market and parade are available on the Chamber website. Please contact the Chamber with any questions. 919-269-6320
▪ Dec. 4: Set up your vendor booth and then enjoy a Vendor Mixer
▪ Dec. 5: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Dec. 6: 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. is the Pop-up Holiday Vendor Market
▪ Dec. 6: Christmas Parade at 2 p.m.
▪ Dec. 6: Tree Lighting at 5 p.m.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Knightdale Station Park will host Food Truck Thursdays every week through November from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 810 N. First Ave. Food trucks include: MacuRoni on Nov. 12 and Stuft on Nov. 19.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Wake Senior Center events
Call 919-365-4248 for more event information.
▪ The AARP Driving Safety Course will be held at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell on Thursday, Nov. 12, from noon to 4 p.m. $15 for AARP members and $20 for nonmembers.
▪ The annual Craft Sale will be Monday through Friday, Nov. 16-20, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
▪ The Senior Center and Resources for Seniors will sponsor Caregiving Support Groups on the second Wednesday of each month from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Go to Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ East Regional Library offers storytime for various ages. Baby Storytime is 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Toddler Storytime is 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. Preschool Storytime is 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Family Storytime is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
▪ JobLink job assistance will offer help navigating job websites and submitting online applications 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays.
▪ The new book club assistance service can help select and schedule titles for book clubs. Make an appointment with a librarian.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks and Recreation will be holding its next CPR/First Aid Class from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 12, in the Harper Park Building. Cost is $55. Register online at www.knightdalerecpay.com or call 919-217-2232.
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 North First Ave. Pilates is a system of exercises that improves physical strength and flexibility and enhances mental awareness. For adults 18 and older. $5.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for children ages 2 to 5, at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ See Spot Read Program: Come read to a therapy dog, K-5th grades, 2 p.m. Nov. 14.
▪ Build holiday cookie houses for ages K-5, from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 1. All materials will be provided. Registration required.
▪ Enjoy cookies and holiday crafts with Santa from 10 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Dec. 5. All materials are provided.
▪ The K-5 Adventures takes place at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
▪ Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays.
▪ Storytime for toddlers is at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.