Carlton Vinson and Brandi Dockery are teaching shag lessons at the Archer Lodge Community Center. The beginners class is at 7 p.m. and the beginners 2 class is at 8 p.m. every Thursday night. $40. To register, come to the Community Center 15 minutes before the first class time. For more information go to www.ncshaglessons.com.
The East Wake High School Choral Department will present a concert at 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 15, at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 125 S. Selma Road, Wendell.
Never miss a local story.
Support Group for Caregivers
The Support Group for Caregivers, sponsored by Resources for Seniors, is led by a trained Alzheimers facilitator. Regular meeting dates are from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month (due to Veterans Day the November meeting will be on the 18th), at the Wendell Community Center, 601 West Third St., Wendell. The support group is a confidential safe place to share one’s challenges, frustrations, sadness, and loneliness with others. To register call 919-365-4248.
The Healthy Enrichment Lifestyle Program will host a free Thanksgiving luncheon Nov. 26 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Wendell Woman’s Club, 10 Cypress St., Wendell. Volunteers and donations are needed. Call Brenda Hinton at 919-592-2669 for more information.
The Healthy Enrichment Lifestyle Program will hold an indoor yard sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 27 at the Wendell Woman’s Club, 10 Cypress St., Wendell. Vendors can contact Brenda Hinton at 919-592-2669 or 919-269-6449 to reserve a table.
▪ Curbside loose leaf collection is under way now in Knightdale. Please move any loose leaves to the curb for collection while avoiding utility boxes, mailboxes and other obstacles. Keep branches and other debris separate. Go to http://bit.ly/1NrFLVX to find leaf collection dates for each neighborhood.
▪ The Turkey Leg 5K will take place at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 26, at Knightdale Station Park Amphitheater, 810 N. First Ave. $20 per person. Race Day check-in begins at 7:30 a.m.
▪ The Knightdale Christmas tree lighting will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Dec. 4, at Knightdale Station Park Amphitheater. Activities include: writing letters to Santa, visiting with Mrs. Claus, taking a train ride, food trucks and more entertainment.
▪ The Knightdale Christmas parade will take place at 2 p.m. Dec. 5, beginning at Knightdale Elementary and ending at Knightdale Station Park. Park & Ride begins at 11 a.m. in the Walmart parking lot.
Forms for the vendor market and parade are available on the Zebulon Chamber of Commerce website. Contact the chamber with any questions. 919-269-6320
▪ Dec. 4: Set up your vendor booth and then enjoy a vendor mixer
▪ Dec. 5: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Dec. 6: 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. is the Pop-up Holiday Vendor Market
▪ Dec. 6: Christmas Parade at 2 p.m.
▪ Dec. 6: Tree Lighting at 5 p.m.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Knightdale Station Park will host Food Truck Thursdays every week through November from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 810 N. First Ave. Food trucks include: Stuft on Nov. 19.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Wake Senior Center events
Call 919-365-4248 for more event information.
▪ The annual Craft Sale will be Monday through Friday, Nov. 16-20, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
▪ The Senior Center and Resources for Seniors will sponsor Caregiving Support Groups on the second Wednesday of each month from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Go to Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ Mini Art Display, now through the end of November. The display is a mini art show on Sherry Conrad Frye’s photography and Mini Masterpieces.
▪ Custom Book Lists are available through the library. Simply fill out a short form and the librarians will produce a list of eight to 10 titles for you to try.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks and Recreation will be holding its next CPR/First Aid Class from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 12, in the Harper Park Building. Cost is $55. Register online at www.knightdalerecpay.com or call 919-217-2232.
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 North First Ave. Pilates is a system of exercises that improves physical strength and flexibility and enhances mental awareness. For adults 18 and older. $5.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for children ages 2 to 5, at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ Build holiday cookie houses for ages K-5, from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 1. All materials will be provided. Registration required.
▪ Enjoy cookies and holiday crafts with Santa from 10 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Dec. 5. All materials are provided.
▪ The K-5 Adventures takes place at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
▪ Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays.
▪ Storytime for toddlers is at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.