Wendell Parks and Recreation Track-Out Camp
The town of Wendell Parks and Recreation has a new program, Track-Out Camp, for students grades K-5. It will be from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, beginning on Jan. 4, 2016, at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. Campers must complete registration and participant forms that are available at the Wendell Community Center. A deposit of $25 is required to reserve your child’s spot in camp. Camp fees are $25 per day and the entire balance must be paid in advance.
Thales Academy student enrollment
Thales Academy in Knightdale is now enrolling grades K–3 for 2016/17. Quick information sessions will be offered at 7 p.m. Jan. 12 and 11 a.m. Jan. 14, at East Regional Library, 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.thalesacademy.org.
Never miss a local story.
An MLK Concert will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 17, at Wakefield Missionary Baptist Church. The MLK breakfast will follow at 7 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 18, at Zebulon Baptist Church. The speaker is Vernis Wright, pastor of Merry Grove Baptist Church. Contact: Annie Moore, 919-369-9772.
East Wake Senior Center events
Call 919-365-4248 for more event information.
▪ Medicare 101 with Mr. Barry Mowbry is from 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 13. An informational seminar explains Medicare, Medicare Supplements, Medicare fraud and more.
▪ Senior Financial Care appointments are available from 1 to 4 p.m. Jan. 14 and Feb. 18. For those who need assistance with specific money needs, social security, estate planning and applying for programs, call the Senior Center for an appointment.
▪ Rex Mobile Mammography will be at the center from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. Feb. 2. Pre-registration should be complete by Jan. 19. Call for your mammogram appointment.
▪ Appointments for tax season begin in January. Call the center for days and times from February through April.
▪ The Senior Center is accepting new volunteers who have an interest in sewing, quilting, ceramics, office assistance, and also volunteer drivers for Meals on Wheels. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
▪ The Senior Center and Resources for Seniors will sponsor Caregiving Support Groups on the second Wednesday of each month from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
Support Group for Caregivers
The Support Group for Caregivers, sponsored by Resources for Seniors, is led by a trained Alzheimers facilitator. Regular meeting dates are from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. The support group is a confidential safe place to share one’s challenges, frustrations, sadness, and loneliness with others. To register call 919-365-4248.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
Carlton Vinson and Brandi Dockery are teaching shag lessons at the Archer Lodge Community Center. The beginners class is at 7 p.m. and the beginners 2 class is at 8 p.m. every Thursday night. $40. To register, come to the Community Center 15 minutes before the first class time. For more information go to www.ncshaglessons.com.
Knightdale leaf collection
Curbside loose leaf collection is under way now in Knightdale. Please move any loose leaves to the curb for collection while avoiding utility boxes, mailboxes and other obstacles. Keep branches and other debris separate. Go to http://bit.ly/1NrFLVX to find leaf collection dates for each neighborhood.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Go to Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ TED Talk: Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are: 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 9. Registration required.
▪ Meet the Artists: meet artisans from the Triangle Potters Guild as they demonstrate both handbuilding and wheel thrown pottery, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 13.
▪ Downton Abbey Tea Party: an event featuring trivia and fun facts about this show set in the Edwardian era, 2 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 16. Bring your own tea cup. Registration required.
▪ SCORE: Financing options for small business. An overview of financing for a new or existing businesses, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 28.
▪ See Spot Read: practice reading to a therapy dog, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 5.
▪ Create Outside the Lines: Does music have a color? 3-5th grade, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 7. Create a framed work of art using oil pastels while listening to music.
▪ K5 Super Special: bilingual story, 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 9. Listen to a story in English and Spanish, do a craft and meet some animals.
▪ Teen Leadership Corps Orientation and training: 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 11. Join a group of committed teens who meet regularly to work on leadership and service projects for the library and the community. For grades 6 - 10.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 North First Ave. Pilates is a system of exercises that improves physical strength and flexibility and enhances mental awareness. For adults 18 and older. $5.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for children ages 2 to 5, at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ Star Wars Super Special Program, 4:30 p.m. Jan. 8. A fun filled party at the library. Wear your Star Wars costume. K-5th graders.
▪ Story times begin at 10:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday-Friday and 11:30 Saturdays. Children to age 5 and their caregivers will participate in a program that incorporates age appropriate books, music, rhymes and movement. No registration required.
▪ K-5 Adventures is at 4:30 p.m. every Tuesday. Kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more.
▪ See Spot Read program is at 2 p.m. Jan. 9. Come read to a therapy dog. K-5th grades.
▪ Join Marbles Kids Museum, 3 to 5 p.m. Jan. 9. Build language, reading, math, and problem-solving skills through hands-on fun and exploration.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.