Thales Academy student enrollment
Thales Academy in Knightdale is now enrolling grades K–3 for 2016/17. A quick information sessions will be offered at 11 a.m. Jan. 14, at East Regional Library, 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.thalesacademy.org.
NCSU Grains of Time men’s a cappella group will be in concert at at 7 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 17, at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 125 S. Selma Road, Wendell. The concert is free, but an offering will be taken for the group.
Never miss a local story.
An MLK Concert will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 17, at Wakefield Missionary Baptist Church. The MLK breakfast will follow at 7 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 18, at Zebulon Baptist Church. The speaker is Vernis Wright, pastor of Merry Grove Baptist Church. Contact: Annie Moore, 919-369-9772.
Zebulon Parks and Recreation spring trip
The Zebulon Parks and Recreation’s spring trip to Washington, D.C. will be April 21-23. The trip includes 3 days, 2 nights hotel accommodations, 2 breakfasts, a dinner and a luncheon while onboard the Odyssey for a cruise of the Potomac River. There will be a guided tour of Washington. Cost is $409 per person double occupancy. A $200 deposit by Feb. 12 reserves a spot, and final payment is due March 9. Stop by the ZPR Community Center for a brochure or call Debbie Wheless at 919-823-0432.
East Wake Senior Center events
Call 919-365-4248 for more event information.
▪ Senior Financial Care appointments are available from 1 to 4 p.m. Jan. 14 and Feb. 18. For those who need assistance with specific money needs, social security, estate planning and applying for programs, call the Senior Center for an appointment.
▪ Rex Mobile Mammography will be at the center from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. Feb. 2. Pre-registration should be complete by Jan. 19. Call for your mammogram appointment.
▪ Appointments for tax season begin in January. Call the center for days and times from February through April.
▪ The Senior Center is accepting new volunteers who have an interest in sewing, quilting, ceramics, office assistance, and also volunteer drivers for Meals on Wheels. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
▪ The Senior Center and Resources for Seniors will sponsor Caregiving Support Groups on the second Wednesday of each month from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
Support Group for Caregivers
The Support Group for Caregivers, sponsored by Resources for Seniors, is led by a trained Alzheimers facilitator. Regular meeting dates are from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. The support group is a confidential safe place to share one’s challenges, frustrations, sadness, and loneliness with others. To register call 919-365-4248.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
Carlton Vinson and Brandi Dockery are teaching shag lessons at the Archer Lodge Community Center. The beginners class is at 7 p.m. and the beginners 2 class is at 8 p.m. every Thursday night. $40. To register, come to the Community Center 15 minutes before the first class time. For more information go to www.ncshaglessons.com.
Knightdale leaf collection
Curbside loose leaf collection is under way now in Knightdale. Please move any loose leaves to the curb for collection while avoiding utility boxes, mailboxes and other obstacles. Keep branches and other debris separate. Go to http://bit.ly/1NrFLVX to find leaf collection dates for each neighborhood.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Go to Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ Meet the Artists: meet artisans from the Triangle Potters Guild as they demonstrate both handbuilding and wheel thrown pottery, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 13.
▪ Downton Abbey Tea Party: an event featuring trivia and fun facts about this show set in the Edwardian era, 2 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 16. Bring your own tea cup. Registration required.
▪ SCORE: Financing options for small business. An overview of financing for a new or existing businesses, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 28.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 North First Ave. Pilates is a system of exercises that improves physical strength and flexibility and enhances mental awareness. For adults 18 and older. $5.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for children ages 2 to 5, at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ ABC Craft & Snack program: 10:30 a.m. every Saturday, for ages 3-5. Free.
▪ Marbles Kids Museum play dates: 3 to 5 p.m. the first Saturday of each month, for ages 3-5. Free.
▪ Story times begin at 10:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday-Friday and 11:30 Saturdays. Children to age 5 and their caregivers will participate in a program that incorporates age appropriate books, music, rhymes and movement. No registration required.
▪ K-5 Adventures is at 4:30 p.m. every Tuesday. Kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.