Volunteers are needed to help the Read and Feed program at the Zebulon Boys & Girls Club. Volunteers read with elementary school children on Mondays from 4:45-6:15 p.m. through May 16. For more information, visit readandfeed.org or contact program director Heather Cross at 919-538-3840 or team lead Carol Weeks at 919-269-8935.
East Wake Senior Center events
Call 919-365-4248 for more information. The center is at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell.
▪ Senior Financial Care appointments will be from 1-4 p.m. on Thursday, April 14. Call for an appointment.
▪ Free Health Forum and Pharmacy Service. Tony Gurley with MEDS Delivery Pharmacy will discuss ways of getting your medications easier and delivered for free. Bring a list of your medications with you at 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 20.
▪ A fish fry fundraiser will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, April 28, at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Tickets will be on sale until Friday, April 22. Plates are $7 and include fish, two sides, dessert and bread.
▪ Get tax help throughout April. Appointments are available from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays.
▪ Tai Chi for arthritis with Norma Ferrel will be at 8:30 a.m. Tuesdays. This class emphasizes fall prevention.
▪ A caregiving support group will meet from 9:30-11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
Food Truck Thursdays
Food trucks visit Knightdale Station Park from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5-8 p.m. Thursdays at 810 N. First Ave. The complete schedule is online at knightdalenc.gov. April’s food trucks are:
▪ April 14: Stuft at lunch and Cousins Maine Lobster at dinner.
▪ April 21: The Humble Pig at lunch and Baozi at dinner.
▪ April 28: Pho Nomenal Dumplings at lunch and The Wandering Moose at dinner.
The last of Wendell’s three drop-in public workshops on its Collector Street Plan will be 6-8 p.m. Thursday, April 14, at the East Wake Senior Center, 323 Lake Drive. For details, go to bit.ly/23bw5V9.
16th Annual Charity Golf Tournament/Kitahata Cup
Registration for the tournament to benefit the Zebulon Boys & Girls Club begins at 11:30 a.m. Friday, April 22, at Zebulon Country Club, 2424 Pearces Road. The shotgun start is at 1 p.m., contests are at 4 p.m. and the dinner, raffle and awards will be at 5 p.m.
For more information, contact Tom Schmidt at 919-880-0043 or Rob Landrum at 919-404-3851.
Miracle Fling in the Spring
Ray Family Farm’s Second Annual Fling in the Spring cow show for kids with special needs and their families will be 2-4 p.m. Sunday, April 24, at 6913 Pearces Road, Louisburg. There will be hot dogs, snacks and drinks.
Space is limited. For details or to sign up, email email@example.com.
Fish fry fundraiser
East Wake Senior Center hosts a fish fry from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, April 28, at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Plates are $7 and include whiting, cole slaw, potato salad, bread and dessert. All proceeds go to support programs and services offered at the Senior Center. Pre-sale tickets are available through Friday, April 22. For details, call 919-365-4248.
Eastern Wake Fire & Rescue will host a pancake breakfast from 6-11 a.m. Saturday, April 30, at 4828 Clifton Road, Knightdale. For more information, call 919-217-0054.
Zebulon United Methodist Church's Shred-A-Thon is 8-11 a.m. Saturday, April 30, in the church parking lot at 121 W. Gannon St. Donations for the church's missions will be accepted. For more information, call 919-269-9408.
Community Recycling Day
Community Recycling Day is 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 30, at Zebulon Municipal Complex, 1003 N. Arendell Ave. Bring old paint, tires, light bulbs, electronic equipment to be recycled, or paper to be shredded.
Zebulon Swimming Pool Association
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Class is starting in April. This 30-hour class is designed for ages 15 and over who are seeking certification. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Swim Team Parents/Swimming Kick-off meeting is from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Sunday, May 1, at the ZSPA site, 309 West Glenn St. Email email@example.com.
The swim team is seeking swimmers ages 3-18. Practices are from May 23 through July 24, mornings and/or evenings. ZSPA membership is required.
Public Safety Day
The Wendell Police Department’s eighth annual Public Safety Day is 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 7, at 9 S. Pine St.
Support Group for Caregivers
The Support Group for Caregivers, sponsored by Resources for Seniors, is led by a trained Alzheimer’s facilitator. Regular meetings are from 9:30-11 a.m. the second Wednesday of each month at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. The support group is a confidential safe place to share one’s challenges, frustrations, sadness, and loneliness with others. To register call 919-365-4248.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-266-1613.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7-8:30 p.m. Thursdays at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
Carlton Vinson and Brandi Dockery are teaching shag lessons at the Archer Lodge Community Center. The beginners class is at 7 p.m. and the beginners 2 class is at 8 p.m. every Thursday night. Classes cost $40. Register at the community center 15 minutes before the first class. For more information, go to ncshaglessons.com.
Knightdale leaf collection
Curbside loose leaf collection is underway now in Knightdale. Please move any loose leaves to the curb for collection while avoiding utility boxes, mailboxes and other obstacles. Keep branches and other debris separate. Go to bit.ly/1NrFLVX for leaf collection dates for each neighborhood.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program for children ages 4-5 includes symbol and sound recognition and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, lists activities online at wakegov.com/libraries. For more, call 919-217-5300.
▪ East Regional Library offers storytime for various ages. Baby Storytime is 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Toddler Storytime is 9:30a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. Preschool Storytime is 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Family Storytime is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 1:30 p.m. Sundays.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class for ages 18 and older from 7-8 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 N. First Ave., for $5. Pilates is a system of exercises that improves physical strength and flexibility and enhances mental awareness.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for ages 2 to 5 at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ Story times begin at 10:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday-Friday and 11:30 a.m. Saturdays. Ages 5 and younger and their caregivers will participate in a program with books, music, rhymes and movement. Registration is not required.
▪ K-5 Adventures is at 4:30 p.m. every Tuesday. Kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more.
▪ ABC Craft & Snack program: 10:30 a.m. every Saturday, for ages 3-5.
▪ Marbles Kids Museum play dates: 3-5 p.m. the first Saturday of each month, for ages 3-5.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.