Eastern Wake: Opinion

Column: James Lee’s wisdom offers us an example to follow

Without a doubt, the greatest part of this newspaper gig is getting to meet people. Some are in the community’s upper crust. Others are barely hanging on because of all the personal baggage they carry. Most folks fall somewhere in the middle. Some are newsmakers by virtue of their position in public life. Others aren’t public figures by any definition you could imagine.

Column: Americans getting ready for appointment television

There are very few television moments that stop the majority of us. We are either too disinterested or too busy to stop and watch. Major inclement weather puts us in front of the tube, but honestly, after about 15 minutes, you’ve heard all you need to hear. The terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 put most of us in front of our television sets to see what in the world was happening.

Editorial: Police out of high schools a bad idea

Groups calling for the Wake County school system to remove police officers from schools are misguided. Today’s high schools have become such a melting pot that it’s unreasonable to believe that every student, parent and visitor who comes to a high school campus will come with the snow-white intentions of furthering the education of young people.

Editorial: Withholding judgment for now

Much has been made of the video that shows a Rolesville High School Resource officer picking up a student and throwing her to the floor in the midst of what looks like a fight taking place at the school. School system officials and the Rolesville Police Department are investigating the incident to see find out what happened and whether the officer should be punished for his actions.

Column: Retreat season gives towns time to set priorities

It’s retreat season. No, I’m not talking about the Carolina Panthers who didn’t make the playoffs after a sterling Super Bowl season last year. I’m thinking about that time of year when local government leaders get together for a day or two and assess the work that’s been done midway through the fiscal year and start to think about their priorities for the upcoming year.

Editorial: The benefits of an arts education

Students at Wendell Elementary benefit enormously from a focus on the arts at the GT magnet elementary school. Though that focus runs adrift as the students enter middle and high school, those formative years give students a chance to experiement with the arts and find creative outlets for their own talents and skills.

Editorial: The timeless story of Christmas

In these turbulent and trying times of war in the Middle East and unsettling political shifts in our country, this is a time to resist the temptations of man and remember that we celebrate, on this Christmas holiday, the birth of a child more than 2,000 years ago in the little hamlet of Bethlehem.

Column: What really makes Christmas such a special holiday?

No one would ever accuse me of being a creative gift-giver. I always give a full-throated, but short-lived and unsuccessful, effort at coming up with gift ideas for people on my lists. I then revert to asking those people for a list of things they would like before I scurry out into the lengthening shadows of Christmas and purchase one or two of the items on their list.

Videos

UNC recruit Jordyn Adams talks about his first football game in NC

Jordyn Adams, a highly-recruited wide receiver prospect, made his Green Hope football debut on Friday. He moved during his junior year from South Carolina and later committed to the Tar Heels.
mblake@newsobserver.com
UNC recruit Jordyn Adams talks about his first football game in NC 1:09

UNC recruit Jordyn Adams talks about his first football game in NC

Durham police clear street of counter-protesters 0:16

Durham police clear street of counter-protesters

Trump supporter takes issue with Durham counter-protesters 0:58

Trump supporter takes issue with Durham counter-protesters

Protesters march in Durham after rumors of KKK rally 1:36

Protesters march in Durham after rumors of KKK rally