Seven people were burned out of their Knightdale home last week after smoldering cigarette ashes were improperly disposed of.
Just think of that for a moment. Seven people now without a home.
Cigarettes have been part of the culture in North Carolina for hundreds of years. We’ve figured out that cigarettes can start fires if they aren’t attended to properly. Yet and still, we keep making the same mistakes.
Seven people. One bad decision.
Never miss a local story.
Fortunately there was no loss of life connected with this fire, but we’ve certainly seen that happen. If you’re a smoker, the habit comes with some responsibilities. Put the cigarette out. Dispose of the ashes safely. It’s not that hard. We are sure that the person responsible for last week’s fire didn’t mean to start it.
But carelessness is expensive. Just ask any one of the seven people who are now trying to figure out where they are going to live.