▪ Zebulon Parks and Recreation tennis camp for ages 8-12 is set for Aug. 3-6 from 9-11 a.m. at Whitley Park. The instructor is Allen White. The deadline to register is Friday, July 24.
▪ The United Soccer Club, formerly the Tri-County Futbol Club, plans to hold a free soccer clinic day at the fields at 65 Liles Dean Road, Wendell, on Aug. 8. Times are 9-10 a.m. for ages 3-4; 10-11 a.m. for ages 9-10; 11 a.m.-noon for ages 7-8; and noon-1 p.m. for ages 9 and older. Players need to bring a ball and water. For more information email Darin Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The United Soccer Club, formerly the Tri-County Futbol Club, is currently looking for girls to compete in the U11 girls challenge age group. Registration for the club’s fall season is also open for recreational soccer for ages 2-12. For more information, contact coach Darin Dixon at email@example.com.
▪ SOSA Futbol Club, contracted with Wendell Parks and Recreation, is accepting registration for the fall soccer season. The fall recreation league is for ages 4-8. For more information, visit sosaacademyfutbol.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call coach Sam Owoh at 919-673-2546.
▪ Registration is now open for the Knightdale Dragons Pop Warner football and cheer and dance season. The organization welcomes players and cheerleaders ages 5-15. Practices begin Aug. 1 at Good Hope Baptist Church on Smithfield Road and games will follow starting Aug. 29. All home games are played at East Wake Middle School. For more information or to register online visit knightdaledragons.org.
▪ The Wendell Rams youth football and cheerleading organization is now accepting registration for the fall season. For more information, call 919-291-8985.
▪ Fall recreational soccer registration for ages 4-14 is now open for the East Wake Soccer Association. For more information or to register, visit eastwakesoccer.org.
The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will host an Introduction to Falconry workshop, presented by the N.C. Falconers Guild, Aug. 22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at its Centennial Campus Center for Wildlife Education in Raleigh. Falconry is hunting by means of a bird of prey, with strict state and federal requirements in place for owning a raptor and hunting with it. Participants at the workshop will learn about raptor identification, anatomy and care of raptors, the history of falconry, bird training and falconry equipment. Trained raptors will be on hand. A $35 advance registration fee covers the workshop and lunch. Space is limited. The minimum age for participation is 12 and anyone younger than 18 must be accompanied by an adult. For info or to register: www.ncfg.org.
Heart course open to coaches
The National Federation of State High School Associations has developed a course for coaches on sudden cardiac arrest.
There is no fee to take the 15-minute course through the NFHS Learning Center at nfhslearn.com/courses.
The course educates coaches, students, parents and others about sudden cardiac arrest, how to recognize its warning signs and symptoms, and the appropriate course of action to be taken if a player collapses during physical activity.
Sudden cardiac arrest is the No. 1 cause of death in the United States for student-athletes during exercise. Caused by a structural or electrical problem associated with the heart, sudden cardiac arrest happens when the heart unexpectedly stops beating and pumping blood.
The federation also offers a free concussion course.
All-Star site shifts
The N.C. Coaches Association East-West All-Star boys’ and girls’ soccer games will be July 21 at McPherson Stadium at the Bryan Park Soccer Complex in Browns Summit.
The games had been at UNC Greensboro in past, but that field is not available because of renovations.
Corinth Holders’ Chason Karst is on the East boys roster, and the Pirates’ Bella Iorio is on the East girls roster.
Real Heroes Wrestling Club
Local high school wrestling coach Kristian Stewart is resuming the Real Heroes Wrestling Club in Johnston County. The club is for kids of all ages interested in amateur wrestling in N.C. Wrestling Association and other regional events. The club will meet at Corinth Holders High School. For info, contact Stewart at 919-365-4344 or email@example.com.
Tarheel Seniors Golf Association
The Tarheel Seniors Golf Association will hold 16 events this year across the area this spring and summer with events at The Neuse, River Ridge, Falls Village, Bentwinds, 12 Oaks, Zebulon Country Club, Lochmere, Devils Ridge and Eagle Ridge. Entry fees are $30-40 per event, which are usually held on Mondays. Four flights of play are offered. Visit tarheelseniors.com or contact Jim Pearce at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-215-7676 for more info.