EWA’s Sanderson crosses 1,000 mark
Both the East Wake Academy girls and boys basketball teams picked up their second wins of the season in their Jan. 13 home games against Falls Lake Academy.
The girls won 42-26, and the boys won 47-29. But the night was particularly special for the girls team – one player, Brooke Sanderson, in particular. With just seconds left in the first quarter, the senior’s two free throws pushed her over the 1,000 career-point mark. She is the first EWA player, girls or boys, to achieve the feat.
The Eagles put up 23 points in that first quarter, and 15 of those were produced by Sanderson.
She finished the game with her sixth double-double of the season, tallying 22 points and 15 rebounds in the win.
McDonald’s All-American nominee
Only three area basketball players were nominated for the McDonald’s All-American high school boys’ and girls’ basketball games: Word of God’s Jalen Harris in the boys’ game and Southern Vance’s Canaan Dale and Knightdale’s Mikaya Wilson for the girls’ game.
Wilson, an Appalachian State recruit, recently became the first Knightdale player to reach 1,000 points for her career.
Cupid 5K upcoming
Registration for Knightdale Parks and Recreation’s Cupid Run 5K fun run/walk is now open. The event will be held at 9:30 a.m. on Feb. 13. More information can be found at nando.com/3bj.
Tai Chi classes
Tai Chi classes will be offered at the Archer Lodge Community Center from February 2-23. Classes will be held every Tuesday. Easy Tai Chi will run from 4-5 p.m. and is geared towards individuals with limited mobility. Tai Chi will run from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The cost is $40 for four weeks of classes. For more information, visit http://nando.com/3bk.
Wendell Parks and Recreation is arranging a ski trip to Wintergreen, Va. for Feb. 19-21. those interested need to sign up before Feb. 5. The bus will leave Wendell Park on Friday, Feb. 19 at 6:30 p.m. Skiing will take place all day Feb. 20 and the bus will head back to Wendell Park at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 21. For more information call 919-366-2266.
Fire baseball tryouts
The Archer Lodge Fire is a new 10U select baseball team for boys ages 8-10. Tryouts will be held Jan. 9 from 2-4 p.m. at the Archer Lodge ball field, 14009 Buffalo Road, Clayton. Players’ 11th birthday must fall on or after May 1, 2016 to participate. Approximate season dues are $200 per player. For more information, call Tom Dolinshek at 586-419-9776 or John York at 919-398-8331.
Spring registrations open
▪ Wendell Parks and Recreation spring registration for youth T-ball, baseball and softball is open through Feb. 4. Registration can be completed online at http://nando.com/3cn or by visiting the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Knightdale Parks and Recreation youth spring baseball and softball registration is now open. Registration fees and dates vary based on age. For more information on all KPR athletics, visit nando.com/3bi.
▪ Registration for Archer Lodge spring sports teams for youth soccer, baseball and softball is now open. Several age groups are offered and costs vary. For more information, visit archerlodge.org/athletics.
▪ SOSA Futbol Club is now accepting registration for the spring 2016 soccer season for recreation, challenge and classic teams, ages 7-17 (U8-U18). All practices and games are played at Wendell Parks and Recreation. For more information, visit sosaacademyfutbol.com, email email@example.com, or call coach Sam Owoh at 919-673-2546.
Knightdale Hustle basketball
▪ Skills and drills sessions will be held at Knightdale Baptist Church, 15 Main St., Knightdale, from 7-8:30 p.m. on the following dates: Jan. 31, Feb. 7, Feb. 14 and Feb. 21. Participants should bring $5 and a ball to each session.
▪ Tryouts for grades 3-8 will be held in February, for the season that will run March to July. For more info, contact Kelly Fox at firstname.lastname@example.org.