Garner Fire-Rescue responded to a report of an apartment fire recently at Lennox Place Apartments. Upon their arrival they found that the fire had been put out by a resident using a fire extinguisher.
“We made our way into the apartment and found that the fire was out.” Captain Ronnie Correia said. “If he hadn’t acted so quickly this entire building could have sustained major damage. He was probably a minute or two from having a fully involved kitchen fire and because of his actions the damage was limited to his stove and the cabinets around it. Christmas could have been much different to the residents of the building if it had not been for his actions.”
The man was attempting to cook and had walked away from a pan of grease on the stove. When he returned he found the pan on fire. He quickly called 911 and started looking for his fire extinguisher.
“He did everything right,” added Correia. “He initiated the response by dialing 911 first and only after that he used the extinguisher. We teach fire safety including how to use fire extinguishers but to see someone actually use it and save not only his property but his neighbors’ speaks volumes of the importance of having one in your home.”
Never miss a local story.
Garner Fire-Rescue is currently in the process of putting together a community class to teach citizens about fire safety including the proper use of extinguishers. Participants will get hands-on training on using an extinguisher on a controlled blaze. “This will be a learning tool that will teach people how it feels to use the proper tools and techniques to handle a scary situation,” Correia said.
The details and dates are still being worked out for the class but more information should be available soon.