High school reunion
The Garner High School Class of 1964 will celebrate its 50-year class reunion May 30 and 31. Any class members who have not received information from the reunion committee should call 919-772-3654 or email email@example.com.
Classes at JCC
Johnston Community College offers human resources and workforce development classes at the main campus in Smithfield at 245 College Road, Smithfield, and the Workforce Development Center at 135 Best Wood Drive, Clayton.• A Human Resources Development class will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, May 20-29, at Johnston Community College’s main campus in Smithfield. The 16-hour class will be free for those who are unemployed or underemployed; otherwise it is $70. The class will focus on general job requirements, necessary skills and responsibilities of the personal and home care professional, as well as a layman’s CPR class. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-209-2042 for more information.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 10: Excel I. This basic course in Microsoft Excel will cost $71 including tech fee in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, June 30: Is Your Retail Business Ready for E-tail? will take place in Room 1032 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 14: Instant E-Commerce Options with Storefronts will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 21: Online Fundraising Options for Non-Profits will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 4: Niche E-Commerce will take place in Room 1032 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 11: Overhauling Your Existing E-Commerce Site will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, May 27-28: Microsoft Excel 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, June 24-25: Microsoft Outlook 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• A notary public class will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 19 in the Benson Conference Center and August 15 in the Workforce Development Center. $70 registration plus book.
Square dancing lessons
Square dancing lessons are held from 7 to 9:30 p.m. every Friday night at Saint Andrews United Methodist Church, 1201 Maxwell Drive, Raleigh. Casual dress, $20 per person per month. Call 919-266-0845 or visit www.GarnerSquareDance.org.
Events at Southeast Regional Library
Southeast Regional Library, 908 Seventh Ave., Garner, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-662-2250.
June 1 through July 31: Spark a Reaction is this year’s summer reading program. Children in grades 5 and under will receive bags and reading logs at the local library, and can receive a “Weekly Wow” when they check out three or more books. Prizes include bookmarks, coloring posters, stickers and other themed items. Teens and adults will be entered into the program and can win gift certificates to restaurants, sporting events, salons and stores in weekly drawings. A grand prize drawing Aug. 1 will give away a Google Nexus Tablet and an e-reader for adult winners, and an e-reader for teen winners.
6:30 to 8:30 Thursday, June 12: Introduction to Entrepreneurship will teach participants critical first steps toward entrepreneurship.
A food pantry is open from 9 a.m. to noon on the second Saturday of each month at Christ Community United Methodist Church, 1082 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. The food is free to anyone presenting an ID card. For more information, call 919-934-0213.
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.• Motheread is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
• The Incredible Years parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote children’s academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, contact Erica Reid at 919-202-0002, ext. 258, or email email@example.com.
Classic Car Club meets
Memory Lane Classic Car Club meets for dinner at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. the third Monday of the month at Golden Corral, 60 Son-Lan Parkway, Garner. For more information, call 919-553-6229.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.