Clayton Wedding Network will host the 2014 Clayton Wedding Expo from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 28, at Brick & Mortar Events, 217 East Main St., Clayton. Events include vendors, food tasting, bridal gown display, bridal kits, giveaways, a live DJ and more. Visit ClaytonWeddingNetwork.com to pre-register.
Independence Day celebration
The Town of Garner will host an Independence Day celebration starting at 5 p.m. Thursday, July 3, at Lake Benson Park, 921 Buffaloe Road, Garner. The event will feature entertainment, concessions, children’s activities and the Garner All-America City Shuffle.
There is limited parking inside the park, so the town provides free shuttle service from Bryan Farms at 1832 New Bethel Church Road for the duration of the event. Handicapped-accessible parking is located at Lake Benson Park.
For more information about this free event, visit garnernc.gov or call 919-773-4442.
Family fun day
The Archer’s Lodge Community will hold its annual Family Fun Day Saturday, July 5, at the Archer Lodge Community Center, 14009 Buffalo Road, Clayton. Events will include a 5k walk/race at 7 a.m., a parade at 2 p.m., and concessions and bingo when the park opens at 2:30 p.m. A cakewalk will take place at 3:30 p.m., with Splashdown from the Archer Lodge Fire Department at 5 p.m., in which the fire department sprays down the baseball field and lets child run in the water and mud, a patriotic ceremony at 7:30 p.m., and a performance from the Army Band at 8 p.m. The fireworks will begin at 9:15 p.m.
Cub Scout events
Cub Scout Pack 392 will hold events open to rising first through fifth grade boys, free of charge. RSVP for any of these events at ocpack392.org or call 919-669-1356.• Flag Football: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 12, at Lake Benson Park.
• Board Game Night: 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
• Geo-Caching: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, August 9, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
• Rain Gutter Regatta: 7 p.m. Tuesday, August 26, at First Presbyterian Church, 503 Lakeside Drive, Garner.
Classes at JCC
Johnston Community College offers human resources and workforce development classes at the main campus in Smithfield at 245 College Road, Smithfield, and the Workforce Development Center at 135 Best Wood Drive, Clayton.• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, June 30: Is Your Retail Business Ready for E-tail? will take place in Room 1032 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 14: Instant E-Commerce Options with Storefronts will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, July 21: Online Fundraising Options for Non-Profits will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 4: Niche E-Commerce will take place in Room 1032 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, August 11: Overhauling Your Existing E-Commerce Site will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $79 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, May 27-28: Microsoft Excel 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, June 24-25: Microsoft Outlook 2010 MOS Certification Boot Camp will take place in Room 1031 of the Workforce Development Center. $149 registration.
• A notary public class will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 19 in the Benson Conference Center and August 15 in the Workforce Development Center. $70 registration plus book.
Connect and plug in
The Garner Chamber of Commerce will hold “Connect & Plug In the Future” from noon to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, August 14, at The Grand Marquise Ballroom, 225 new Fidelity Court, Garner. The half-day conference will focus on major developments impacting the town’s economic climate and quality of life. Registration and lunch will take place at noon, with conference sessions running from 1 to 5 p.m. and reception and dinner from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Registration for the full conference is $79, reception and dinner only is $35. Visit business.garnerchamber.com for more information.
Cans for a Cure
Vandora Springs Elementary will host the Cans for a Cure aluminum can recycling project throughout the summer months at 1300 Vandora Springs Road, Garner. Everyone is invited to recycle aluminum cans at the school in the blue recycling dumpster. All proceeds will benefit the Relay for Life of Garner. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Square dancing lessons
Square dancing lessons are held from 7 to 9:30 p.m. every Friday night at Saint Andrews United Methodist Church, 1201 Maxwell Drive, Raleigh. Casual dress, $20 per person per month. Call 919-266-0845 or visit www.GarnerSquareDance.org.
Events at Southeast Regional Library
Southeast Regional Library, 908 Seventh Ave., Garner, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-662-2250.
Thropugh July 31: Spark a Reaction is this year’s summer reading program. Children in grades 5 and under will receive bags and reading logs at the local library, and can receive a “Weekly Wow” when they check out three or more books. Prizes include bookmarks, coloring posters, stickers and other themed items. Teens and adults will be entered into the program and can win gift certificates to restaurants, sporting events, salons and stores in weekly drawings. A grand prize drawing Aug. 1 will give away a Google Nexus Tablet and an e-reader for adult winners, and an e-reader for teen winners.
6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, July 31: Learn the legal aspects of starting a business from SCORE of Raleigh.
A food pantry is open from 9 a.m. to noon on the second Saturday of each month at Christ Community United Methodist Church, 1082 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. The food is free to anyone presenting an ID card. For more information, call 919-934-0213.
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.• Motheread is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
• The Incredible Years parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote children’s academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, contact Erica Reid at 919-202-0002, ext. 258, or email email@example.com.
Classic Car Club meets
Memory Lane Classic Car Club meets for dinner at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. the third Monday of the month at Golden Corral, 60 Son-Lan Parkway, Garner. For more information, call 919-553-6229.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.