Town of Garner volunteers
The Town of Garner is seeking volunteers to serve on the Senior Citizens Advisory Committee, the Planning Commission and the Veterans Advisory Committee. For more information or to request an application form, contact the town clerk’s office at 919-773-4406 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are also available at garnernc.gov under Forms.
Jones Family singers
The Jones Family Singers will perform live at 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 21, at the Garner Performing Arts Center, 742 W. Garner Road. Tickets start at $20 and can be purchased at garnerperformingartscenter.com, or by calling 919-661-4602 or at GPAC box office at 742 W. Garner Road. Tickets are $15 each for groups of 15 or more.
American Red Cross Blood Drive
A blood drive will be held from 4 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24, at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1433 Aversboro Road, Garner. Walk-in appointments welcome. To schedule an appointment, email email@example.com.
Clayton Youth Theater presents “You Can’t Take it With You”
Clayton Youth Theater will perform “You Can’t Take It With You” at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 25-27, at The Clayton Center. Written by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman, this Pulitzer Prize winning comedy celebrates family and nonconformity. Tickets are $12 for adults; $6 for students 18 and under. Reserved seating. For tickets call 919-553-1737 or visit www.theclaytoncenter.com.
Relay for Life events
▪ Garner businesses are asked to design a chair which reflects their business for Vandora Springs Elementary's Chairs of Hope auction in April to benefit Relay For Life. In order to participate, a donation of $100 to the Chairs of Hope Relay Team is requested. Contact Jim Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
▪ A Relay for Life fundraiser will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 27, in the Fellowship Hall of Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 2200 Buffaloe Road, Garner, next to the Lake Benson Park off Aversboro Road. There will be a reverse raffle and a silent auction. Contact: 919-772-9044.
JCC Black History event
For more information about Black History events contact: Della McMillian at 919-464-2282 or Doris Edwards at 919-209-2539.
▪ Gospelfest: 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 28, Paul A. Johnston Auditorium.
Red Cross blood drive
▪ There will be a blood drive from 2:30 to 7 p.m. March 1, at The Oasis at First Baptist Church, 601 Saint Mary’s Street in Garner. Another blood drive will take place from 3 to 7:30 p.m. March 15, at Turner Memorial Baptist Church, 3704 Benson Road. For more information download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App at redcrossblood.org or call 800-733-2767 to make an appointment.
▪ Garner United Methodist Church and Garner Civitan Club will host a public blood drive from 3 to 7 p.m. April 4, at 1005 Poole Drive, Garner. For appointments go to www.mysignup.com/garnercivitan or contact Floyd Wiggins at 919-772-3292.
Garner 101 Citizens Academy
Garner residents are invited to enroll in the spring 2016 Garner 101 Citizens Academy. Classes are from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday evenings beginning March 3. The academy consists of nine weekly classes and a graduation dinner and ceremony. The classes are designed to teach participants about all aspects of Garner’s local government.
Citizens Police Academy
The Garner Police Department will conduct a Citizens Police Academy this spring and is seeking interested residents to participate. The free academy runs each week from March 8-May 10. All instructors are Garner police officers who will teach a variety of topics including: investigations/domestic violence; use of force, DWI, traffic enforcement and crash analysis; arrest, search and seizure law; plus much more. Space is limited, apply at garnernc.gov/Departments/Police/CitizensAcademy.aspx or by calling Sophia Sandlin at 919-772-8810, ext. 5164 or email at email@example.com.
TOPS Chapter 0678
Taking Off Pounds Sensibly (TOPS) Chapter 0678 meets from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Mondays at The Garner Senior Center, 205 E. Garner Road, Garner. The purpose of the group is to provide support, share information about healthy living and celebrate success with weight loss. Participants must pay $32 for yearly national dues and $3 monthly local dues.
Johnston County MS Support Group
The Johnston County MS Support Group meets at 11 a.m. on the third Tuesday of the month at The Church at Clayton Crossings, 11407 U.S. 70 W Clayton. The group is open to those dealing with MS and their families and is free of charge.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.
Motheread is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
The Incredible Years parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote children’s academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, contact Erica Reid at 919-202-0002, ext. 258, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send announcements at least two weeks before the event to email@example.com.