Garner: Opinion

‘Big lie’ shows a rapidly changing Garner

“If you must lie, lie big” is a frequent propaganda tool used by those who don’t want to fully take responsibility for their actions. A few weeks ago – early in the morning of course – the residents of Garner’s Perdue Street began to hear the noises we knew were coming.

Column: Americans getting ready for appointment television

There are very few television moments that stop the majority of us. We are either too disinterested or too busy to stop and watch. Major inclement weather puts us in front of the tube, but honestly, after about 15 minutes, you’ve heard all you need to hear. The terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 put most of us in front of our television sets to see what in the world was happening.

Editorial: There is great value in community arts

Garner is, indeed, fortunate to have a robust arts community in its midst. From Broadway performers to community theater to public school teachers who are passionate advocates of the arts, Garner has a lot to offer its residents and, frankly, for anyone who’s willing to make the short drive to Garner from neighboring communities.

Editorial: Police out of high schools a bad idea

Groups calling for the Wake County school system to remove police officers from schools are misguided. Today’s high schools have become such a melting pot that it’s unreasonable to believe that every student, parent and visitor who comes to a high school campus will come with the snow-white intentions of furthering the education of young people.

Editorial: Garner man leads the way

Regardless of what you think of the man who took over the presidency on Friday, it should be a point of pride for Garner residents that one of their own led the way in part of the pomp and circumstance that surrounds a presidential inauguration.

Editorial: Weigh in on transportation needs

Government business all too often falls off our radar before it ever really has a chance to catch our attention. That’s especially true when a government agency is trying to make plans for the future. Whatever impacts those plans have on us don’t seem to matter if the changes are five, 10, 20 years down the road.

Column: Retreat season gives towns time to set priorities

It’s retreat season. No, I’m not talking about the Carolina Panthers who didn’t make the playoffs after a sterling Super Bowl season last year. I’m thinking about that time of year when local government leaders get together for a day or two and assess the work that’s been done midway through the fiscal year and start to think about their priorities for the upcoming year.

Editorial: Sports also add to the school experience

Just as the arts are an important part of a well-rounded education, so, too, are athletics. Wake County is considering a proposal to eliminate sports options for students who attend a number of academy-style schools. The application-only schools currently send their students to designated nearby schools to participate in interscholastic sports.

Editorial: The benefits of an arts education

Students at Aversboro Elementary benefit enormously from a focus on the sciences at the STEM elementary school. Though that focus isn’t heavy on the arts, students at the school are fortunate to have a strong arts program that gives students a basic exposure to the liberal arts side of the education equation.

Column: What really makes Christmas such a special holiday?

No one would ever accuse me of being a creative gift-giver. I always give a full-throated, but short-lived and unsuccessful, effort at coming up with gift ideas for people on my lists. I then revert to asking those people for a list of things they would like before I scurry out into the lengthening shadows of Christmas and purchase one or two of the items on their list.

Editorial: The timeless story of Christmas

In these turbulent and trying times of war in the Middle East and unsettling political shifts in our country, this is a time to resist the temptations of man and remember that we celebrate, on this Christmas holiday, the birth of a child more than 2,000 years ago in the little hamlet of Bethlehem.

More Videos

NC State's Kevin Keatts says Arizona, not Duke, is the top team in the country 3:47

NC State's Kevin Keatts says Arizona, not Duke, is the top team in the country

Listen to Dan Kane's interview with Belle Wheelan of SACS concerning UNC's statements to the NCAA 15:49

Listen to Dan Kane's interview with Belle Wheelan of SACS concerning UNC's statements to the NCAA

Videos push for device-free dinners 0:31

Videos push for device-free dinners

'We've got to help Victor,' Hurricanes coach Bill Peters says 2:19

'We've got to help Victor,' Hurricanes coach Bill Peters says

UNC recruit Jordyn Adams talks about his first football game in NC 1:09

UNC recruit Jordyn Adams talks about his first football game in NC

A lighthearted look at Black Friday madness 1:57

A lighthearted look at Black Friday madness

Police dog does push-ups with Alabama officers 0:08

Police dog does push-ups with Alabama officers

AR-15: The Gun Used In So Many Mass Shootings 2:05

AR-15: The Gun Used In So Many Mass Shootings

Investigation requested into NC lieutenant governor’s donor-funded TV studio 3:05

Investigation requested into NC lieutenant governor’s donor-funded TV studio

The Triangle's most elaborate holiday lights display 0:37

The Triangle's most elaborate holiday lights display

NC State shocks No. 2 Arizona

Watch NC State coach Kevin Keatts' press conference following a huge win by the Wolfpack over Arizona in the Bahamas in what many are calling the biggest upset in college basketball so far this season.
Luke DeCock ldecock@newsobserver.com
NC State shocks No. 2 Arizona 2:37

NC State shocks No. 2 Arizona

'I didn't see this one coming,' says Hurricanes' Peters after 6-1 loss to Rangers 2:48

'I didn't see this one coming,' says Hurricanes' Peters after 6-1 loss to Rangers

Videos push for device-free dinners 0:31

Videos push for device-free dinners

Lynx family returns to photographer's deck to play 1:58

Lynx family returns to photographer's deck to play