Historic Yates Mill County Park
Historic Yates Mill County Park will host a tour training session required for volunteers who want to become mill interpreters from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 25, at 4620 Lake Wheeler Road, Raleigh. Registration is required. Register online at https://apm.activecommunities.com/wakeparks/Activity_Search/1159/ or call 919-856-5378. Pizza will be served.
9/11 Weekend of Service
Volunteers can take part in the 9/11 Weekend of Service coordinated by Activate Good. Businesses, groups and individuals will honor those lost on Sept. 11, 2001, with volunteerism and acts of kindness at more than 100 projects around the Triangle. For more information, go to https://activategood.org/911weekend2016.
Never miss a local story.
Shore Grief Center
The Shore Grief Center, which provides peer-based grief support in Wake Forest and Raleigh, is seeking the following:
Transitions LifeCare offers volunteer information sessions at various times throughout the year. Anyone who is interested in becoming a volunteer can attend a one-hour session to learn more. For more information, go to www.transitionslifecare.org/volunteer.
North Raleigh Ministries
North Raleigh Ministries is looking for volunteers to help at its crisis center and thrift shop/warehouse. Opportunities are available for everyone, from high school and college students to retirees. For more information, email email@example.com or call 919-844-6676 ext. 4.
Town of Wake Forest
The town of Wake Forest is recruiting volunteers to greet and direct customers who visit town hall. Volunteers are expected to work at least two three-hour shifts per month and must participate in mandatory training. Application forms are available on the first-floor customer information desk at town hall, 301 S. Brooks St., and online at www.wakeforestnc.gov/guest-services-volunteers.aspx. Completed applications can be emailed to Catherine Roberson at firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 919-435-9489.
For more information about the program, call 919-435-9400.
Friday Night on White
Volunteers are needed for the Friday Night on White concert series in Wake Forest from 6 to 9 p.m. the second Friday of each month through September. For more information and to sign up to volunteer, go to wakeforestnc.gov and search Friday Night on White.
Activate Good is a volunteer center that connects individuals, groups and companies with hundreds of charities around the Triangle. The following projects need volunteers. For information and to view other volunteer opportunities, go to www.activategood.org.
▪ Volunteer as a greeter or floater for the Young Entrepreneur Expo on Sept. 17: https://activategood.org/opportunity/2769
▪ Help out in a variety of roles at the BBQ, Blues, and Brews festival in Fuquay-Varina on Sept. 24: https://activategood.org/opportunity/2295
▪ The East Durham Children’s Initiative is in need of a scout master for a Durham Boy Scout troop: https://activategood.org/opportunity/2675
▪ Volunteers are needed for the SPARKcon festival in downtown Raleigh Sept. 15-18: https://activategood.org/opportunity/2700
▪ PLM Families Together needs volunteers to help out with upkeep in their community garden throughout September: https://activategood.org/opportunity/2745
▪ Habitat for Humanity of Wake County is in need of volunteers to help with front-desk hospitality, data entry, special events and more during business hours: https://activategood.org/opportunity/2757
▪ The Power of the Dream is in need of a volunteer to manage its Facebook page: https://activategood.org/opportunity/2748
Help refugees and immigrants
A variety of opportunities in Raleigh are available to help immigrants and refugees get a fresh start. To learn more, visit the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants’ website, refugees.org, email email@example.com or call 919-334-0072 ext. 4004.
North Raleigh Ministries
North Raleigh Ministries is looking for volunteers to work four-hour shifts at the Thrift Shoppe and in the shop’s processing area. The group is also looking for a volunteer to drive the organization’s truck one day per month. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-844-6676 ext. 4.
The Volunteer Center
The following projects need volunteers. For more information, visit www.handsontriangle.org, email Lenore@thevolunteercenter.org, or call 919-613-4515.
▪ Help middle school students with hands-on learning projects as a citizen teacher with Citizen Schools in Wake Forest. For more information, email email@example.com.
▪ Assist lead instructors with golf instruction and mentoring at The First Tee of the Triangle. Volunteers commit to two to three hours per week for a minimum of 10 weeks at various locations throughout the Triangle.
▪ Curamericas Global needs large, slightly used suitcases, infant clothing and latex gloves. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lutheran Services Carolinas Refugee Resettlement
Lutheran Services Carolinas Refugee Resettlement is looking for volunteers to help refugees adjust to their new lives in the Raleigh community. For details, contact Robert Evans at 501-940-3939 or email@example.com.
SAFE Haven for Cats
SAFE Haven for Cats needs volunteers to help care for cats at its facility at 8431-137 Garvey Drive, Raleigh. Shifts are from 10 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday and from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. Email volunteer@SafeHavenForCats.org, or visit SafeHavenForCats.org for more information.
Foster homes for cats
Snowflake Animal Rescue, a nonprofit group, is seeking foster homes for cats in need. For more information, go to www.snowflakerescue.org or call 919-990-2478.
Second Chance pet rescue
Second Chance Pet Adoptions seeks volunteers to assist at its no-kill shelter. Clean cat rooms, wash dogs and offer foster care. For more information, visit www.secondchancenc.org or call 919-851-8404.
Hospice volunteers needed
Liberty Home Care & Hospice needs volunteers to help care for its residents. Liberty serves Raleigh, Cary, Garner, Knightdale, Apex, Fuquay-Varina, Wendell and Zebulon. For information, go to www.libertyhomecare.com.
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
The Inter-Faith Food Shuttle seeks volunteers for activities. Get your hands dirty at the teaching farm, deliver food to people in need or lead cooking classes and demonstrations. For information, visit www.foodshuttle.org.
The English as a Second Language program seeks volunteers to help teach English as a second language and with program outreach. Knowledge of another language is not required to participate. For information, contact the program office at 919-996-6844 or email the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Olympics Wake County seeks volunteers to help during training and competitive events. Volunteers assist as event officials, athlete escorts, coaches, award presenters and more. For more information or to volunteer, visit www.raleighnc.gov or call Recreation Program Manager Brian Philpot at 919-996-2111.
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
The Carolinas chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is looking for volunteers to help with fundraising and events. For more information, call 919-845-2155 or visit www.cff.org/Chapters/carolinas.
SPCA of Wake County
The SPCA of Wake County needs volunteers for various activities at adoption centers and events. For more information, visit www.spcawake.org.
The Center for Volunteer Caregiving needs volunteers to drive seniors to appointments, four to eight hours per month. Call 919-460-0567 or visit www.volunteercaregiving.org to volunteer.
Send Volunteer Notes to email@example.com.