Blackman’s Grove Baptist Church, located on N.C. 96 in the Blackman’s Crossroads community, held a ground-breaking ceremony July 20. This past spring, church members voted to relocate the current building and add more Sunday School classrooms and new restrooms.
While the building is being moved and the additions built, the congregation will worship in the church’s fellowship center on Wood-Lee Road. Sunday School will start at 10 a.m., with children meeting in the parsonage and teens and adults in the fellowship center. The worship service will follow at 11 in the fellowship center, with children meeting at the parsonage, which is on Strickland’s Crossroads Road. The church has a Wednesday Bible study at 7 p.m.
The church is accepting donations for its building project. Make checks payable to Blackman’s Grove Baptist Church and mail them to Ed Wood, 5187 Strickland’s Crossroads Road, Four Oaks. Make a note that the donation is for the building fund.
Early records indicate that a revival held in Josh Blackman’s store at Blackman’s Crossroads was most likely the first meeting of what would become Blackman’s Grove Baptist Church. That revival drew 13 members of Smithfield Missionary Baptist Church and one member of Union Grove Church in Sampson County. These 14 people became the charter members of the Blackman’s Grove Baptist Church.
Never miss a local story.
Susan B. Williams Wood was the first member. Her letter of transmission from Union Grove Church is dated Aug. 11, 1893. A week later, the 13 members of Smithfield Missionary Baptist Church were granted letters of dismissal “to organize Blackman’s Grove Missionary Baptist Church.” They were Frank P. Wood, George W. Lee, T.D. Lee, E.W. Marler, M.H. Barefoot, W.H. Wood, J.M. Blackman, G.P. Lee, Susan B. Wood, Marina Godwin, Bettie F. Lee, Narcissa Jane Marler, Selula Barefoot and Julia B. Wood.