Smithfield will spend a little more than $255,000 this year to resurface sections of 13 streets for a total of 1.5 miles.
Five street sections will be milled down before getting a 1.5-inch overlay. The rest will get the overlay only.
The following streets are on the list: Johnston, Lee, Sixth, Walnut, First, Fourth, Rose, Woodall, Seventh, Hancock, Furlong, Edgecombe and Roderick.
At its meeting last week, the Town Council accepted the low project bid of $255,325.80 from J.P. Edwards Inc. The town has $300,000 in Powell Bill funds to pay for the work. Powell Bill funds are state dollars allotted specifically for street projects.
Never miss a local story.
At staff’s recommendation, the council agreed to use the remaining Powell Bill money – about $44,000 – for repairs to the town-owned parking between Wells Fargo and Simple Twist. That work will include curb and gutter repair, full-depth patch work of damaged asphalt, resurfacing the lot and re-striping parking spaces.
The council discussed hiring an outside firm to complete an updated streets assessment. Its last assessment – which evaluated street conditions and ranked them from worst to best – was in 2006. Council members agreed they would include another assessment in their 2016-17 budget discussions, which will begin soon.
During the project, which will begin with prep work later this month, the town will require J.P. Edwards to provide all traffic-control devices, notify 911 of temporary street closings, fix any drainage problems in newly paved areas, keep construction areas clean and help assist citizens in and out of driveways in the work zones. Once actual resurfacing begins, the town expects the entire project work to take about a week to complete.
Here’s the list of resurfacing projects:
▪ East Johnston Street from South Sixth Street to South Seventh Street.
▪ East Lee Street from South Fifth Street to South Sixth Street and from South Third Street to South Fourth Street.
▪ South Sixth Street from Massey Street to East Johnston Street and from East Davis Street to East Lee Street.
▪ Walnut Drive from West Sanders Street to West Bingham Street.
▪ First Street from East Sanders Street to West Bingham Street.
▪ South Fourth Street from East Johnston Street to East Church Street.
▪ West Rose Street from South Vermont Street to its dead-end.
▪ East Woodall Street from South Fourth Street to South Sixth Street.
▪ North Seventh Street from Caswell Street to Hancock Street.
▪ Hancock Street from North Fifth Street to North Sixth Street.
▪ Furlong Drive.
▪ Edgecombe Court from Bradford Street to the cul-de-sac.
▪ North Roderick Drive.
Abbie Bennett: 919-553-7234, Ext. 101; @AbbieRBennett