Smithfield: Opinion

We fear what we do not understand

In 1962, I was a 21-year-old university student heading for Ajloun, Jordan, where I would spend my summer serving as a Baptist Student Union summer missionary. I would also be the first student to serve in this Middle Eastern nation. I was both excited and frightened.

Is the right thing also the wise move?

As the chief appointed advocate for Johnston County public schools, Superintendent Ross Renfrow did the right thing, submitting a budget that meets all of Johnston’s local school needs without regard for cost. But unless he gets lucky, Dr. Renfrow is delaying inevitable cuts in his spending plan.

Party loyalty fuels the demise of our political system

“The actions of our fathers were the pillars of the temple of liberty; and now that they have crumbled away, that temple must fall, unless we, their descendants, supply their places with other pillars, hewn from the solid quarry of sober reason. Passion has helped us but can do so no more. It will, in the future, be our enemy. Reason –cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason – must furnish all the materials for our future support and defense. Let those materials be molded into general intelligence, sound morality and, in particular, a reverence for the Constitution and law.” Abraham Lincoln, January 1838.

Legislature returns to tax reform

North Carolina’s economy continues to expand at a relatively rapid pace. Over the last year, for example, our gross domestic product grew by 2.6 percent after inflation, compared to 1.6 percent for the nation and 2 percent for the Southeast.

What is your local economy?

North Carolina has a lot of local governments. To be exact, the state has 100 counties and 552 municipalities. North Carolina is one of only seven states with triple digits in the number of counties, with Texas taking the prize at 254. We’re 18th among states in the number of municipalities, but far below the record holder of Illinois, with 2,729.

Why are classroom cuts always the first?

I understand that North Carolina school systems will have to make some potentially hard decisions if state lawmakers don’t give them wiggle room on class-size caps in grades K-3. But it seems to me the schools’ default response to unfunded state mandates is the worst-case scenario, and I have to wonder if it’s true that the only response is always the worst case.

Steve Bannon: White House architect of chaos

Vladimir Lenin once said, “The art of any propagandist and agitator consists in their ability to find the best means of influencing any given audience, by presenting an idea in such a way as to make it most convincing, most easy to digest, most graphic, and most strongly impressive.”

Videos

Heavy rains cause flooding around Crabtree Valley Mall

Crabtree Creek jumped its banks blocking several streets and flooding parking lots in the Crabtree Valley Mall area Tuesday morning April 25 after two days of steady rain.
Chris Seward cseward@newsobserver.com
Heavy rains cause flooding around Crabtree Valley Mall 0:41

Heavy rains cause flooding around Crabtree Valley Mall

Weather forecast for central and eastern NC 1:52

Weather forecast for central and eastern NC

NC Association of School Administrators director praises HB-13 0:57

NC Association of School Administrators director praises HB-13

NCAE president says HB-13 only fixes funding problems for one year 1:37

NCAE president says HB-13 only fixes funding problems for one year