Smithfield: Opinion

What is your local economy?

North Carolina has a lot of local governments. To be exact, the state has 100 counties and 552 municipalities. North Carolina is one of only seven states with triple digits in the number of counties, with Texas taking the prize at 254. We’re 18th among states in the number of municipalities, but far below the record holder of Illinois, with 2,729.

Why are classroom cuts always the first?

I understand that North Carolina school systems will have to make some potentially hard decisions if state lawmakers don’t give them wiggle room on class-size caps in grades K-3. But it seems to me the schools’ default response to unfunded state mandates is the worst-case scenario, and I have to wonder if it’s true that the only response is always the worst case.

Steve Bannon: White House architect of chaos

Vladimir Lenin once said, “The art of any propagandist and agitator consists in their ability to find the best means of influencing any given audience, by presenting an idea in such a way as to make it most convincing, most easy to digest, most graphic, and most strongly impressive.”

Is farming a high-tech industry?

My paternal grandfather was a farmer in Ohio. He raised a variety of crops, but hogs were his bread and butter. In southwestern Ohio, hogs were big business a century ago. In fact, at one time Cincinnati – where I was born – was known as “Porkopolis.” Farmers like my grandfather drove their hogs from outlying farms to the packing houses in the city.

Roads can’t keep pace with development

In my way of thinking, Cleveland Road near N.C. 42 in the Cleveland community should not be heavily congested during the morning and evening commutes. It seems to me that when the state opened Interstate 40 from Raleigh to Wilmington, it would have immediately begun planning and setting aside money for the widening of Cleveland Road from N.C. 50 to at least Barber Mill Road.

Videos

UNC basketball arrives in Memphis

VIDEO: Wearing their custom fedoras, the North Carolina men's basketball team arrives in Memphis, TN, Wednesday evening, March 22, 2017, before the Tar Heels' Sweet 16 matchup with Butler on Friday.
Ethan Hyman ehyman@newsobserver.com
UNC basketball arrives in Memphis 2:25

UNC basketball arrives in Memphis

Rescue puppy gets second chance with prosthetic paws 1:26

Rescue puppy gets second chance with prosthetic paws

Former Blue Devil football players audition for NFL scouts at Duke Pro Day 1:14

Former Blue Devil football players audition for NFL scouts at Duke Pro Day

St. Augustine student killed in Washington, DC while on spring break 2:40

St. Augustine student killed in Washington, DC while on spring break