The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Author Marketing: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, $55.
• Ballroom Dancing: 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 26-Nov. 4, $100.
• Basic Conversational Spanish II: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Aug. 18-Oct. 20, $125.
• Electrical Contractor’s Exam Preparation: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays, Aug. 18-Dec. 18, $290.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: Viva Latin America!: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28, $58.
• PowerPoint Introduction: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 19-Sept. 9, $85.
• Servsafe Certification: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Aug. 25-27, $125.
• Spanish for School Personnel (Lessons 0-6): 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 26-Nov. 25, $162.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Get Your Money in Shape: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, $48.
• Spanish Short Stories: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 28-Nov. 20, $121.
• Triangle Youth Jazz Ensemble: 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 27-Dec. 17, $145.
Student exchange program
World Heritage Student Exchange Program is looking for host families for high school boys and girls from Scandinavia, France, Germany, Italy, Thailand, China, South Korea and former Soviet Republics. Couples, single parents and families with or without children can host a teenager for the 2014-15 school year. Applications will be accepted through Thursday, July 31. To apply, call local area representative Erin Kalbarczyk at 919-924-4679 or 1-800-888-9040, or go to www.whHosts.com.
Give Us an A
Wake Electric has a drawing for 40 $25 Visa gift cards for students who receive at least one A (or its equivalent) on their report cards through the Give Us an A program. Students in any grade in several North Carolina counties, including Wake, may enter.
To enter, students need a copy of the report card with A grades highlighted, parents’ or guardians’ names, a home address, the name of their school, a phone number and an email address that is regularly checked. For details, go to www.wemc.com/giveusana.aspx.
150 Days of Giving
Wake Education Partnership is participating in First Tennessee Foundation’s 150 Days of Giving campaign to donate $5,000 to a different nonprofit each day through Thursday, Aug. 21, in an online voting competition. For details or to vote, go to 150daysofgiving.com.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to email@example.com between Monday, Sept. 1, and Thursday, Jan. 15.
Classroom Technology Awards
Wake Electric will accept applications from teachers for the Classroom Technology Awards grant program through Monday, Sept. 15. Grants of up to $3,000 are available. For details or to apply, call 919-863-6312 or 1-800-474-6300, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.
Young Composers Competition
The Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra’s Young Composers Competition will accept submissions through Wednesday, Oct. 15. The competition will be open to North Carolina high school students who are 18 or younger. The competition will target professionally focused composers with professional composition teachers or mentors, but all submissions will be considered. The winning composition will be performed by the Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra and will be included in a CD. For details, go to www.gsyo.org.