Witness: two found in Fuquay home were fatally shot

07/20/2014 10:42 PM

07/20/2014 3:52 PM

The Wake County Sheriff’s Department has released little about the deaths of two men found in a Fuquay-Varina home, but a neighbor and family member of one victim said the two men appeared to have been shot in their home after a break-in.

Sheriff spokesman Capt. James Stevens confirmed the two men found slain on the 200 block of Howard Road as Arthur Lee Brown, 78, and David Eugene McKoy, 66. The department received a 911 call reporting the discovery of the bodies at 1:10 p.m. Saturday.

Any other details, Stevens said, remained part of an active investigation.

Carl Diggs, works at the Boise Cascade plywood plant in Moncure, said Brown was his uncle, and said he was devastated at the loss. He lives across the street.

“I hope to God they find out who did this,” Diggs said. “I’m angry because, ‘Who would do this?’ but I’m more hurt and heavy.”

Saturday Diggs said he and some other relatives had gone to the house to check on Brown after not hearing from him for an unusual amount of time. Diggs said he saw Brown, kneeling over the bed in his room.

“I could see the T-shirt he had on. It was a white T-shirt. The blood had started to dry. There was a big circle of blood,” Brown said. “Once I saw him laying on the bed, I came back and called 911.”

He said that he never saw McKoy, but that a cousin discovered his body in another room and said it appeared he’d been shot once in the head.

Brown had worked as a concrete contractor for more than three decades, according to Diggs. He said Brown was well known in the community, and that McKoy was a family friend living with Brown. Brown liked to help people, especially single mothers, Diggs said.

Diggs noted some odd events leading up to the apparent killings. He said a door had been kicked in, and was convinced that the suspects knew the layout of the home.

A birthday party for Brown had been well-attended, but drew some people that Briggs and his uncle didn’t know. In addition, someone disconnected cameras attached to his house on Wednesday and pointed them up toward the sky, Diggs said.

Diggs said his mother, the sister of Brown’s wife, died about a month and a half ago. McKoy’s mother died two weeks after that, Diggs said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service