The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
• Ballroom Dancing: 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 26-Nov. 4, $100.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: Viva Latin America!: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28, $58.
• PowerPoint Introduction: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 19-Sept. 9, $85.
• Servsafe Certification: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Aug. 25-27, $125.
• Spanish for School Personnel (Lessons 0-6): 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 26-Nov. 25, $162.
• Triangle Youth Symphony: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 8-Nov. 17, $147.50.
• Beginner Latin Dance: 7:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 8-Oct. 20, $100.
• Esperanto Language and Culture Part 1: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Nov. 18, $60.
• Triangle Youth Philharmonic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Dec. 9, $150.
• Guitar Made Fun and Easy: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Oct. 6, $65.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: Mama Mia: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 15, $58.
• Medical Coding II: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 16-Oct. 23, $140.
• Adult Kicks: 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $70.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
• Cake Decorating for Beginners I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 22-Oct. 27.
• Pathway Driver Improvement Clinic - Eight-Hour Clinic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, Sept. 22-25, $95.
• Excel Introduction for Teachers: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 24-Oct. 15, $85.
• Spy Escape and Evasion: 5:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, $597.
• Pastry 101: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 29, $40.
• Triangle Youth Jazz Ensemble: 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 27-Dec. 17, $145.
• Spanish Short Stories: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 28-Nov. 20, $121.
• Adult Kicks: 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Nov. 17, $70.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: The French Connection: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, $65.
• Triangle Youth String Sinfonia: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 4-Nov. 20, $127.50.
• How to Operate a Home-Based Bakery: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-30, $200.
Green Hope PTSA
The Green Hope High School PTSA in Cary is looking for officers, committee chairs and volunteers for the 2014-15 school year. For details, email Dee Deanhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chelly Williams at email@example.com.
The PTSA is looking for volunteers for back-to-school events. Parents and students are welcome to volunteer. To sign up, go to bit.ly/1xbAm9h.
The PTSA also seeks parent volunteers for students’ senior-year events. For details, email Dee Deanhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give Us an A
Wake Electric has a drawing for 40 $25 Visa gift cards for students who receive at least one A (or its equivalent) on their report cards through the Give Us an A program. Students in any grade in several North Carolina counties, including Wake, may enter.
To enter, students need a copy of the report card with A grades highlighted, parents’ or guardians’ names, a home address, the name of their school, a phone number and an email address that is regularly checked. For details, go to www.wemc.com/giveusana.aspx.
150 Days of Giving
Wake Education Partnership is participating in First Tennessee Foundation’s 150 Days of Giving campaign to donate $5,000 to a different nonprofit each day through Thursday, Aug. 21, in an online voting competition. For details or to vote, go to 150daysofgiving.com.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to email@example.com between Monday, Sept. 1, and Thursday, Jan. 15.
Thales Academy tours
Thales Academy of Apex will host tours for prospective students and families of the junior high and high school from 8-9 a.m. and elementary school from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 2, at 1177 Ambergate Station. For details, go to www.ThalesAcademy.org.
Classroom Technology Awards
Wake Electric will accept applications from teachers for the Classroom Technology Awards grant program through Monday, Sept. 15. Grants of up to $3,000 are available. For details or to apply, call 919-863-6312 or 1-800-474-6300, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.
Morrisville Elementary School’s fall festival will be from 5:30-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 26, at 1519 Morrisville Parkway. There will be games, activities and food trucks with vegan and gluten-free options available. Admission is free for adults. Admission costs $15 in advance or $17 at the door for children in kindergarten or older, and $4 in advance or $5 at the door for children in preschool or younger. Tickets will be available online at www.morrisvilleyearround.org.
Young Composers Competition
The Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra’s Young Composers Competition will accept submissions through Wednesday, Oct. 15. The competition will be open to North Carolina high school students who are 18 or younger. The competition will target professionally focused composers with professional composition teachers or mentors, but all submissions will be considered. The winning composition will be performed by the Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra and will be included in a CD. For details, go to www.gsyo.org.