The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Guitar Made Fun and Easy: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Oct. 6, $65.
Never miss a local story.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: Mama Mia: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 15, $58.
• Medical Coding II: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 16-Oct. 23, $140.
• Adult Kicks: 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $70.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
• Cake Decorating for Beginners I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 22-Oct. 27.
• Pathway Driver Improvement Clinic - Eight-Hour Clinic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 22-25, $95.
• Excel Introduction for Teachers: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 24-Oct. 15, $85.
• Spy Escape and Evasion: 5:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, $597.
• Pastry 101: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 29, $40.
• Teen: Gourmet Cooking: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 1, $40.
• Kife Skills I: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 6, $40.
• 21 Things You Don’t Know About Buying Real Estate That Are Costing You Big $$$: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7, $89.
• Teen: Knife Skills: 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 8, $35.
• Guitar Made Fun and Easy: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays, Oct. 13-Nov. 3, $65.
• Pathway Drive Improvement Clinic - 16-Hour Clinic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Oct. 13-Nov. 5, $199.
• Personal Computer & Windows Introduction: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 21-Nov. 11, $85.
• Terminology & Anatomy for Coders: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Oct. 28-Dec. 18, $140.
• Teen: Who’s a Chocoholic: 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 29, $35.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Adult Kicks: 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Nov. 17, $70.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: The French Connection: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, $65.
• Triangle Youth String Sinfonia: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 4-Nov. 20, $127.50.
• How to Operate a Home-Based Bakery: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-30, $200.
• The Counselor and The Dad: Get a College Education Through College Athletics: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 2, $35.
International Walk to School Day
Highcroft Drive Elementary School in Cary will participate in International Walk to School Day on Friday, Sept. 12. Mayor Harold Weinbrecht, teachers, parents and about 200 students will walk to school, starting at 8 a.m. at Sears Farm Road Park, 5077 Sears Farm Road, Cary.
For information about International Walk to School Day, go to www.walkbiketoschool.org.
Classroom Technology Awards
Wake Electric will accept applications from teachers for the Classroom Technology Awards grant program through Monday, Sept. 15. Grants of up to $3,000 are available. For details or to apply, call 919-863-6312 or 1-800-474-6300, email email@example.com or go to www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.
Athens Drive High School Marching Band BBQ
The Athens Drive High School Marching Band BBQ will raise money for the school band from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 19, at the Swift Creek Community Center, 6221 Yates Mill Pond Road, Raleigh. Plates of barbecue pork, fried chicken, hush puppies, potatoes and coleslaw cost $8. Desserts cost $1. Delivery to places near the community center is available for orders of six plates or more. For details or orders, contact Laura Ashford at 919-971-8732 or BBQ@athensdriveband.com or go to www.athensdriveband.com.
Morrisville Elementary School’s fall festival will be from 5:30-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 26, at 1519 Morrisville Parkway. There will be games, activities and food trucks with vegan and gluten-free options available. Admission is free for adults. Admission costs $15 in advance or $17 at the door for children in kindergarten or older, and $4 in advance or $5 at the door for children in preschool or younger. For tickets, go to www.morrisvilleyearround.org.
Young Composers Competition
The Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra’s Young Composers Competition will accept submissions through Wednesday, Oct. 15. The competition will be open to North Carolina high school students who are 18 or younger. The competition will target professionally focused composers with professional composition teachers or mentors, but all submissions will be considered. The winning composition will be performed by the Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra and will be included in a CD. For details, go to www.gsyo.org.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, Jan. 15.