The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Excel Introduction for Teachers: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 24-Oct. 15, $85.
Never miss a local story.
• Spy Escape and Evasion: 5:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, $597.
• Pastry 101: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 29, $40.
• Teen: Gourmet Cooking: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 1, $40.
• Knife Skills I: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 6, $40.
• 21 Things You Don’t Know About Buying Real Estate That Are Costing You Big $$$: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7, $89.
• Teen: Knife Skills: 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 8, $35.
• Guitar Made Fun and Easy: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays, Oct. 13-Nov. 3, $65.
• Pathway Drive Improvement Clinic - 16-Hour Clinic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Oct. 13-Nov. 5, $199.
• Personal Computer & Windows Introduction: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 21-Nov. 11, $85.
• Terminology & Anatomy for Coders: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Oct. 28-Dec. 18, $140.
• Teen: Who’s a Chocoholic: 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 29, $35.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• The Counselor and The Dad: Get a College Education Through College Athletics: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 2, $35.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
Reedy Creek students receive instruments
Naitonal Pawn donated musical instruments to Reedy Creek Middle School’s band on Sept. 18.
Voice of Democracy Program
VFW’s Voice of Democracy Program, an audio-essay competition for scholarships, will accept submissions from students in grades nine through 12. The theme is “Why Veterans are Important to Our Nation’s History and Future.” For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Morrisville Elementary School’s fall festival will be from 5:30-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 26, at 1519 Morrisville Parkway. There will be games, activities and food trucks with vegan and gluten-free options available. Admission is free for adults. Admission costs $15 in advance or $17 at the door for children in kindergarten or older, and $4 in advance or $5 at the door for children in preschool or younger. For tickets, go to www.morrisvilleyearround.org.
Green Hope technology drive
Green Hope High School’s technology drive, organized by students Jasper Brindis and Griffin College, will continue through Tuesday, Sept. 30. Computers, monitors, speakers, keyboards, other parts and celphones can be donated in the front office of Green Hope High School, Panther Creek High School or Apex High School. For details, go to ghhstechdrive.webs.com.
Thales Academy tours
Thales Academy of Apex will host tours of the junior high and high school from 8-9 a.m. and the elementary school from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7, at 1177 Ambergate Station. For details, go to www.ThalesAcademy.org.
Young Composers Competition
The Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra’s Young Composers Competition will accept submissions through Wednesday, Oct. 15. The competition will be open to North Carolina high school students who are 18 or younger. The competition will target professionally focused composers with professional composition teachers or mentors, but all submissions will be considered. The winning composition will be performed by the Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra and will be included in a CD. For details, go to www.gsyo.org.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to email@example.com by Thursday, Jan. 15.