The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Teen: Gourmet Cooking: 6:30-9 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 1, $40.
Never miss a local story.
• Knife Skills I: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 6, $40.
• 21 Things You Don’t Know About Buying Real Estate That Are Costing You Big $$$: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7, $89.
• Teen: Knife Skills: 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 8, $35.
• Guitar Made Fun and Easy: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays, Oct. 13-Nov. 3, $65.
• Pathway Drive Improvement Clinic - 16-Hour Clinic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Oct. 13-Nov. 5, $199.
• Personal Computer & Windows Introduction: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 21-Nov. 11, $85.
• Terminology & Anatomy for Coders: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Oct. 28-Dec. 18, $140.
• Teen: Who’s a Chocoholic: 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 29, $35.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• The Counselor and The Dad: Get a College Education Through College Athletics: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 2, $35.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
Holly Grove Middle joins NCASA
Holly Grove Middle School in Holly Springs was the 200th school of the year to join the North Carolina Association for Scholastic Activities on Sept. 23.
Voice of Democracy Program
VFW’s Voice of Democracy Program, an audio-essay competition for scholarships, will accept submissions from students in grades nine through 12. The theme is “Why Veterans are Important to Our Nation’s History and Future.” For details, email email@example.com.
Thales Academy tours
Thales Academy of Apex will host tours of the junior high and high school from 8-9 a.m. and the elementary school from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7, at 1177 Ambergate Station. For details, go to www.ThalesAcademy.org.
Young Composers Competition
The Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra’s Young Composers Competition will accept submissions through Wednesday, Oct. 15. The competition will be open to North Carolina high school students who are 18 or younger. The competition will target professionally focused composers with professional composition teachers or mentors, but all submissions will be considered. The winning composition will be performed by the Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra and will be included in a CD. For details, go to www.gsyo.org.
‘The Yellow Boat’
The Cary High School Performing Arts Department will present “The Yellow Boat” at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 15, through Saturday, Oct. 18, in the school auditorium, 638 Walnut St., Cary. Tickets cost $5 for students and $8 for adults, with a $1 fee for tickets bought with a credit card. For details and ticket reservations, go to caryhsperformingarts.com.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, Jan. 15.