The Point Church food pantry gives bagged groceries, a hot meal and clothing to families in need from 11 a.m. to noon Saturdays at 1503 Walnut St., Cary.
Mother’s Morning Out
White Plains United Methodist Church has openings in the fall Mother’s Morning Out program for children 18 months through 4 years from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at 313 SE Maynard Road, Cary. For details, contact Beth at 919-467-9394 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children’s centers and preschools• St. Andrew’s Early Childhood Center at St. Andrew the Apostle Roman Catholic Church is accepting new students ages 3-5. The center is at 3008 Old Raleigh Road, Apex. For details and registration, call 919-387-8656 or go to www.saintandrew.org.
• Cary Presbyterian Preschool at Cary Presbyterian Church is registering students ages 18 months to 5 years for 2014-15. The church is at 614 Griffis St., Cary. For details or to schedule a tour, call Angie Keith at 919-469-2229 or go to www.carypresbyterian.org.
• Christ the King Preschool of Christ the King Lutheran Church is accepting registration for ages 2-5 for the 2014-15 school year. The church is at 600 Walnut St., Cary. For more information, go to www.christthekingcary.org/Preschool/Registration.aspx.
• Fellowship Preschool has openings for ages 2-5 for 2014-15. The preschool is at 1788 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. For details, call Becki Ross at 919-380-0533, email email@example.com, or go to www.fellowshippreschool.org.
• First Baptist Church - Cary’s First Baptist Weekday Preschool has openings for children ages 18 months to 5 years for 2014-15. The preschool is at 218 S. Academy St., Cary. For more information, contact Aliza Travis at 919-467-6356, ext. 114, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to www.caryfbc.org/weekday.
• Greenwood Forest Children’s Center at Greenwood Forest Baptist Church has openings for preschool registration for ages 2-5 for the 2014-15 school year. The church is at 110 SE Maynard Road, Cary. For details and registration, call Sandy Duncan at 919-469-0140 or go to cc.gfbccary.org.
• Kirk of Kildaire Children’s Center has openings for ages 2-5 for 2014-15. The center is at 200 High Meadow Drive, Cary. For details, contact Brenda Holladay at 919-469-4895 or email@example.com, or go to www.kirkchildrenscenter.com.
• Peace Presbyterian’s Children Center at Peace Presbyterian Church has openings for ages 2 to 5 for the fall. The church is at 1777 W. Chatham St., Cary. For details or a tour, call 919-415-1733, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.peacepca.org/ministries/ppcc.
• St. Paul’s Preschool at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Cary is accepting registration for the 2014-15 school year. The church is at 221 Union St., Cary. For more information or to schedule a tour, contact Brooke Bowersox at 919-467-3788 or email@example.com.
‘Blinky & Me’
The Men’s Club at Beth Shalom will screen “Blinky & Me,” a documentary by Tomasz Magierski about Yoram Gross, an Australian animator and Holocaust survivor, at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at 5713 Yates Mill Pond Road, Raleigh. Magierski will answer questions after the screening. For details, call 919-858-7777 or go to www.bethshalomnc.org.
Christ the King Lutheran Church invites students and families to bring their backpacks or briefcases to celebrate the new school year at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. worship services Sunday, Aug. 24, at 600 Walnut St., Cary. For details, call 919-467-8989 or go to www.christthekingcary.org.
Youth Group Kickoff
Sunrise United Methodist Church will host a Youth Group Kickoff with information about fall events from 5-7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24, at 5420 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs.
Genesis United Methodist Church offers Disciple I and Disciple III Bible studies beginning Sunday, Aug. 24, at 850 High House Road, Cary. Disciple I is a 34-week study of Genesis through Revelation. Disciple III is a 32-week study of the Prophets and Paul’s letters. For details, call 919-467-2128.
Sunrise United Methodist Church will host the Rex Bloodmobile for a blood drive from 3-7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 25, at 5420 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs. Registration will be open online soon at mysunrise.org.
Sunrise Women Circle
Women of Sunrise United Methodist Church will meet to discuss outreach activities and plans for the fall from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 26, at 5420 Sunset Lake Road, Holly Springs. For details, email Lisa Pearson at firstname.lastname@example.org or Barbara Vetter at email@example.com.
English as a Second Language classes
Westwood Baptist Church will host free English as a Second Language classes from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays from Aug. 26 through Dec. 9 at 200 Westhigh St., Cary. Classes include listening, speaking, reading, writing, conversation, pronunciation and U.S. culture. Free childcare and homework help for children will be provided. For details, call 919-469-9393.
Covenant Prayer Sunday
White Plains United Methodist Church will host a worship service at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 31, at 313 SE Maynard Road, Cary. There will be music from the Chancel Choir and Praise Team and presentations by rising ninth-grade students.
Financial Peace University• Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian Church will host Financial Peace University classes from 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 2 through Oct. 28, at 200 High Meadow Drive, Cary. Registration was due on Aug. 1. For details, call 919-467-4944 or go to www.kirkofkildaire.org.
• Genesis United Methodist Church will host Financial Peace University classes from 2:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays, Sept. 7 through Nov. 9, at 850 High House Road, Cary. For details, go to www.genesis-umc.org.
Community Bible Study
Community Bible Study will begin a 30-week study from 9:45-11:45 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, at Westwood Baptist Church, 200 Westhigh St., Cary. Registration costs $25 for adults and $10 for children and teens. For details and registration, go to www.cbsclass.org/Classes/cary/home.aspx.
Neighbors Helping Neighbors
Western Wake Crisis Ministry’s annual Neighbors Helping Neighbors golf tournament and fundraiser will be from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Sept. 15, at MacGregor Downs Country Club, 430 St. Andrews Lane, Cary. For details, go to www.wwcm.org.
Sunrise Golf Tournament
Sunrise United Methodist Church’s golf tournament to benefit the Holly Springs Food Cupboard will be from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Sept. 15, at Devil’s Ridge Golf Club, 5107 Linksland Drive, Holly Springs. The church is seeking sponsors, players and volunteers. Registration costs $90. For details, go to mysunrise.org/event/sunrise-golf-tournament.
Back to School Benefit
A Back to School Benefit for the White Plains United Methodist Church Children’s Center will begin at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 19, at 313 SE Maynard Road, Cary. Food trucks will begin serving dinner at 6 p.m., and live music by Crush will start at 7 p.m. There will also be a silent auction. Tickets cost $8 for ages 13-18 and $12 for ages 19 and older at tinyurl.com/wpcc2014. Children ages 12 and younger, who must be accompanied by an adult, will be admitted for free. For details, call 919-469-2217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
First United Methodist Church - Cary hosts GriefShare meetings at 7 p.m. Thursdays, through Oct. 9, in room 125 at 117 S. Academy St., Cary. The workbook costs $15. For information about the church, go to www.fumc-cary.org. To register, go to bit.ly/1sEsFba.
Worship services at The Cary
First United Methodist Church - Cary hosts worship services at The Cary theater at 9:45 a.m. Sundays at 122 E. Chatham St.
Holly Springs United Methodist Church hosts “There is a Solution” Alcoholics Anonymous group meetings from 7-8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at 108 Avent Ferry Road.
Sisters in Support
White Plains United Methodist Church hosts a support group for women who had or currently have breast cancer from 7-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at 313 SE Maynard Road, Cary. For more information, email Lee Heathcoat at email@example.com.
Family support ministry meeting
A family support ministry organized by Mary Williams-Farrington and the Pardoned by Christ Ministry meets the first, second and fourth Tuesday of every month at The Point Church, 1503 Walnut St., Cary. The ministry provides support for people who have been incarcerated or who have or have had an incarcerated family member. For details, call 919-272-3045 or 919-255-5883 or go to www.pardonedbychrist.org.
Fuquay-Varina United Methodist Church hosts Overeaters Anonymous meetings from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays in room 126, 100 Judd Parkway. The group’s supportive meetings don’t include weigh-ins, diets or fees. For more information, call 919-557-7712 or 919-771-1393.
Summit Evangelical Covenant Church will host Celebrate Recovery meetings for people recovering from hurting, hangups and habits at 8 p.m. Wednesdays at 590 Westhigh St., Cary. For more information on Celebrate Recovery, go to www.celebraterecovery.com. For more information on the church’s program, go to www.summitnc.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cary Presbyterian Church offers a labyrinth meditation walk from 5:30-7:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month at 614 Griffis St. For details, call 919-469-1337 or visit www.carypresbyterian.org.
Cancer support group
A cancer support group meets the second Wednesday of each month from 7-8:30 p.m. in Room WC108 at Colonial Baptist Church, 6051 Tryon Road, Cary. Details: Phyllis Travers, 919-233-0355.
The Knights of Columbus Council 12119 hosts jackpot bingo at 7 p.m. Thursdays at St. Bernadette Catholic Church, 1005 Wilbon Road, Fuquay-Varina. Doors open at 6 p.m. Food and beverages available. Details: Al Munno, 919-557-7718, or Sonny Butler, 845-797-0830.
Celebrate Recovery for Women
Celebrate Recovery for Women meets at 6 p.m. every Friday at the homes of members of North Cary Baptist Church. The group helps women with hurting, hangups and habits. Details: 919-469-8023.
Brown Bag Ministry
The Brown Bag Ministry, which feeds more than 1,400 people a week, is looking for middle- and high school-age volunteers. The group meets at St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church in Apex about 9 a.m. Saturdays. Volunteers prepare bagged meals and hand them out in Raleigh. The group usually finishes by 1 p.m. Details: www.brownbagministry.org.