The Fuquay-Varina Fire Department will collect nonperishable food for the Fuquay-Varina Emergency Food Bank through Monday, Dec. 15, at all Fuquay-Varina fire stations and Town Hall. Cash donations also will be accepted to buy food.
Crowder District Park will accept nonperishable food donations for the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina through Wednesday, Dec. 31, at 4709 Ten-Ten Road, Apex.
The Stevens Nature Center will host activities for kids at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. To register, call 919-387-5980. Here’s the schedule:
• Hemlock Nature Quest: Flying Squirrel and Owl Box Check (ages 13-15): 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 14. $12 for Cary residents, $16 for non-residents.
• Nature Fun for 4 and 5s: Gifts for Wildlife (ages 4-5): 1-3 p.m. Monday, Dec. 15, through Wednesday, Dec. 17. $24 for Cary residents, $32 for non-residents.
• Discovery Days Mini-Camps: Trail Trackers (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 16; Thursday, 18; and Friday, Dec. 19. $54 for Cary residents, $68 for non-residents.
• Wee Walkers: Heavy or Light (ages 1 and older with a parent): 10-11 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 17. $8 for Cary residents, $10 for non-residents.
• Volunteer Workdays: Wildflower Watering Club (ages 2-5 with a parent): 10-11 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 18. Free.
• Curious Creatures: Coyotes and Foxes (ages 5-8): 10 a.m. to noon Monday, Dec. 22. $12 for Cary residents, $16 for non-residents.
• Kids Fun-Days: Amphibian Adventures (ages 5-8): 1-3 p.m. Monday, Dec. 22. $12 for Cary residents, $16 for non-residents.
• Eco-Express: Salamander Commander (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Dec. 23. $12 for Cary residents, $16 for non-residents.
Parents’ Night Out
Apex offers Parents’ Night Out for parents of children who are 5-11 years old from 5-8:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19, at the Apex Community Center, 53 Hunter St. Karyn Wolf will entertain children with movies, crafts, games, snacks and more. Registration for each night costs $25 for Apex residents and $40 for non-residents. For details, go to www.apexnc.org/programguide.
Eva Perry Regional Library will host drop-in story time for babies and toddlers from Friday, Jan. 2, through Tuesday, March 31, at 2100 Shepherd’s Vineyard Drive, Apex. Story time for babies is at 9:30 a.m. Mondays and 11:30 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Story time for toddlers is at 10:30 a.m. Mondays and Fridays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Hot Chocolate Run
Fit & Able Productions’ Hot Chocolate Run will begin at 10 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 4, on the trails at Fred G. Bond Metro Park, 801 High House Road. Runners and walkers of all ages and skill levels, and dogs, are welcome. Registration for the 5k race costs $20 for competitive runners and $15 for recreational runners; the one-mile race costs $15 for competitive and $10 for recreational; the doggy dash costs $5 with a registered runner. Dogs’ fees benefit the SPCA. For details, go to fitandable.net.
Go snow-tubing in the Winter Wonderland at Bond Park on Friday, Jan. 9, or Saturday, Jan. 10, at 801 High House Road, Cary. Early registration for an hour-long sessions is required, and costs $18 per session. For details, go to www.townofcary.org.
The Cary Full Circle
A discussion of the origins of The Cary and its revitalization will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 27, at the Page-Walker Arts & History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary.
Indoor Farmers Market
Holly Springs’ Indoor Farmers Market will be open from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 28, and Saturday, March 28, at the Holly Springs Cultural Center, 300 W. Ballentine St.
Beer & Bacon Festival
The Beer & Bacon Festival will come to Cary on Saturday, March 28, at Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 8003 Regency Parkway, Cary. Guests will sample international beers and wines, and enjoy tasting stations from Triangle restaurants. There will be live music, a butchering class and exhibits.
VIP tickets are $69 in advance. Regular tickets cost $39 in advance and $45 the day of the festival. For designated drivers, VIP tickets cost $39 and regular tickets cost $25 in advance. For details, go to www.beerandbacon.com.