Durham County

September 4, 2014

Fire that began in dryer damages Durham house

Durham fire investigators traced a Wednesday fire that damaged most of a house on Chapel Hill Road to a clothes dryer, but were trying to figure out what caused the dryer to burn.

Fire investigators traced a Wednesday fire that damaged most of a house at 2509 Chapel Hill Road to a clothes dryer, they said, but were trying to figure out what caused the dryer to ignite.

The fire was reported about 8:25 p.m., and firefighters found flames coming from the left side and back of the one-story house and the roof, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said.

No one was hurt, and the fire was under control in about 20 minutes, Iannuzzi said.

A thunderstorm was passing through the area at the time of the fire, but investigators had not determined if lightning had any connection to the fire, Iannuzzi said.

The dryer had been running before the fire broke out, residents told firefighters.

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos