Firefighters evacuated two student apartment buildings near Duke University on Thursday night after a boiler that was turned on as the temperature dropped began sending carbon monoxide into apartments.
One person was unconscious, a caller told 911 before fighters were dispatched at 10:45 p.m. to 1500 University Road, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said Friday.
EMS medics took two people to Duke University Hospital for treatment, Iannuzzi said. He said about 10 students were displaced when the buildings were evacuated until.
The apartments are privately owned.
Never miss a local story.
Investigators determined that the boiler had been turned on about 10 p.m. to produce heat to supplement electric-heating units in the apartments, Iannuzzi said.
The boiler was shut down pending an examination Friday by service technicians, Iannuzzi said.