Fire investigators said Thursday that a child playing with a lighter in an apartment set a mattress on fire, and smoke from the resulting blaze forced four people to turn to the Red Cross for a place to stay.
The fire damaged one bedroom of the apartment in a two-story building at 322 Junction Road, three blocks north of Holloway Street, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said. Firefighters were able to quickly limit it to that room, he said.
Smoke damaged the whole apartment, however.
Iannuzzi credited the child’s mother with keeping the fire from spreading by closing the bedroom door.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters got the call at 2:57 p.m. Wednesday, Iannuzzi’s report said.