Firefighters said improper handling of incense candles started a fire that broke out in a Barnhill Street home Wednesday morning and caused smoke damage throughout the house.
The first trucks to arrive at the one-story house found a fire in the basement. It had begun when candles were left burning in a container that could burn and they set that on fire, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said.
No one was hurt, but two people had to find other shelter after smoke filled the building shortly after 9 a.m., he said.
“Candles of any type should never be placed in, on, or within tip-over distance of combustible materials of any kind. Combustible materials include things like wood, paper, plastic, and cloth,” Iannuzzi warned.