Firefighters blamed ashes from a grill for a fire that heavily damaged a house Tuesday and credited a neighbor with rescuing a dog that was inside.
The first firefighters to arrive after a 911 call shortly after noon found heavy smoke coming from the back of the two-story home at 18 Frontier Way, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said.
A neighbor had seen flames and made the call, then freed the dog that was inside the house, Iannuzzi said.
Ashes from a grill were disposed of improperly, starting the blaze, investigators determined.
Never miss a local story.
The second floor, attic and roof had heavy fire damage, and water fighters poured into the house to put out the flames did damage everywhere, Iannuzzi said.