A man was burned on one arm and a firefighter suffered a back injury when a garage behind a home erupted in flames while the man was working on a car, the fire department said.
The fire happened about 1:45 p.m. Monday at 4809 Gun Powder Place, a cul-de-sac in the northeast part of the city.
Lt. Grant Williams, a fire investigator, said the first firefighters on the scene saw flames at the back of the two-story home, which has an attached garage, then found the heavy fire was in a detached two-car garage where two classic cars were kept.
The man who lives in the house was working on one of the cars when gasoline fumes ignited, Williams said.
Never miss a local story.
The man’s burns were minor, and he did not need hospitalization, Williams said.
The injured firefighter was taken to a hospital for examination.
Firefighters estimated the fire damaged 70 percent of the garage.