A 24-year-old man was shot and killed outside a convenience store and McDonald’s restaurant on Capital Boulevard on Wednesday, the second fatal shooting in the city in one day.
A police officer found Aaron Troy Jacobs mortally wounded inside a vehicle at 4413 Capital Blvd., near Calvary Drive, shortly after 10 p.m. A man who had called 911 told an emergency dispatcher that two men dressed in black fired guns multiple times into Jacobs’ chest, then sped off in what appeared to be a gray Ford Focus.
The 911 caller, whose name was not made public, said one of the assailants sat in the front seat of the car, the other in the back.
“I had to stop one of the dudes from shooting me,” the caller said in a recording made public Thursday afternoon by the Raleigh Police Department.
Never miss a local story.
The caller told the dispatcher that Jacobs was still moving. He was taken to WakeMed Raleigh Hospital, where he died, police reported.
About 15 hours earlier, at 7:15 a.m., police found Christopher James Locus, 23, shot to death and lying on the ground at South Blount and East Lenoir streets in downtown Raleigh. By nightfall, detectives had charged Charles Douglas Mitchell, 25, of Durham with murdering Locus and arrested him in the 500 block of East Davie Street.
Police did not disclose a possible motive for the shooting, but they say Locus and Mitchell knew each other.
Wake County arrest records show that Locus lived at 565 E. Bragg St. when he was arrested Aug. 1 on a felony breaking or entering charge. He was scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 10 on that and other charges.
When they arrested Mitchell, police also charged him with illegally having a gun because he was convicted in 2009 of two felony counts of common law robbery in Wake County. Arrest records show that Raleigh police charged Mitchell with an armed robbery and with assault with a deadly weapon in August and September 2014, but the status of those charges was unclear.
Two fatal shootings on the same day raised some concern that a late-summer gang truce in the city had been broken. But William Hinton, a former high-ranking member of the Crips who helped organize the truce, described Locus and Mitchell as friends who were members of the same gang and said he thinks the truce “is still strong.”
Another truce organizer, Diana Powell, director of Justice Served NC, a nonprofit that mentors young people in the county jail, agreed. Powell said the two homicides don’t have anything to do with the truce and that former gang leaders who are observing the cease-fire “are doing positive things in the community.”
Police ask anyone with information that might help them investigate the fatal shooting of Jacobs to call Raleigh CrimeStoppers at 919-834-4357 or visit raleighcrimestoppers.org/ for text and email reporting options.