Firefighters rescued one person from a burning, two-story apartment building early Wednesday, but the person had suffered burns and smoke inhalation and later died, officials said.
The identity of the person carried from the fire at 4806 Tapers Drive in northeast Raleigh was not disclosed immediately.
The fire department said a 911 call sent firefighters to the house at 5:17 a.m.
The first truck to arrive reported light smoke coming from a chimney, and crews had the fire under control in less than 20 minutes, a report from fire Capt. Louis Hufham said.
Never miss a local story.
Hufham’s report said the fire was accidental and started with cooking. It damaged about 10 percent of the building, the report said.