Facing thousands of piles of fallen trees and other storm debris, the city of Raleigh has decided to call in reinforcements.
The city will bring in a contractor to canvas residential streets, picking up the debris from any curb where it’s found. Previously, the city had asked people with large amounts of debris to call and schedule a special pick-up.
“We realized that we don’t have the resources in the city to collect this debris quickly,” said Fred Battle, director of solid waste services.
About 3,400 people have asked the city to collect the debris left by a late February snow and ice storm. By Tuesday, the city had reached only 200 of those properties, according to city manager Ruffin Hall.
Crews could begin roving the streets as early as Friday under the new plan. It’s unclear how much the city will have to pay for the contract crews; Hall said the city would have an estimate later.
The city has a “pre-positioned” contract for situations like this.
“What we’re paying is the premium for speed,” Hall said.