Two Wake Forest police officers involved in a fatal shooting of an 18-year-old man last month have returned to duty, according to a spokesman for the town.
The Wake County District Attorney’s Office gave the OK for officers David Cohen and Darryl Ragland to return to work on May 26, town spokesman Bill Crabtree said in a news release Monday.
The State Bureau of Investigation is continuing its investigation into the May 6 shooting of David William Johnson.
The Raleigh Police Department had asked Wake Forest police to help that evening in response to a call about a stolen firearm. Officers encountered Johnson on Monument Drive, where he fled in a Honda Accord and witnesses told officers he had a gun.
Johnson wrecked the Honda on Grandmark Street. Preliminary investigations show Johnson got out of the car with a handgun, officials said.
Cohen and Ragland told Johnson to drop his weapon, according to police. When Johnson didn’t comply, the officers shot him multiple times.
After the shooting, Cohen and Ragland were placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure when officers are involved in a shooting.