A building where poultry waste is kept before being used for mulch at N.C. State University caught fire early Monday and was destroyed, officials said.
The wooden-walled, metal-roofed building, which was estimated to be about 25 feet by 50 feet, had no animals in it.
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences has poultry facilities off Lake Wheeler Road, near Mid Pines Road and Yates Millpond.
The litter being stored in the building appeared to have combusted spontaneously, possibly due to the intense heat of recent days, university spokesman Mick Kulikowski said.
Never miss a local story.
The waste stored in the building is brought from nearby buildings where birds are housed, Kulikowski said.