Durham police arrest 17-year-old in July 5 shooting incident

07/25/2014 10:41 AM

07/25/2014 10:42 AM

A 17-year-old was arrested Thursday on charges that he fired shots at two adults and two children in the front yard of a house on Drew Street earlier this month, police said.

Darren Dixon of Durham was being held on $3 million bail for a Friday court appearance after being charged with four counts of assault with a deadly weapon and firing into an occupied dwelling, the house into which the four ran when bullets began to fly on July 5.

He also is charged with discharging a gun inside city limits and possession of a firearm by a felon in that case.

Police swore out warrants charging him with simple assault and common law robbery stemming from a June 20 incident in which a 16-year-old boy had his cell phone stolen while riding on a city bus.

State corrections also charged Dixon with a parole violation after having listed him as an absconder. His parole began April 3.

Dixon was paroled after serving time for a 2013 conviction in a 2012 robbery.

Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said officers did not believe the shots fired at the four people from across Drew Street were a random attack.

Join the Discussion

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service