Detectives on Friday asked for the public's help in capturing a young man they have dubbed "the brazen burglar" after he committed several daytime burglaries this week.
Police made public a series of photos they hope will help to identify the suspect.
Of particular interest to investigators: the young thief stole several firearms from one of the homes he burglarized, according to police.
The daytime burglaries have taken place over the past week in the neighborhoods of Two Creeks Road and High Meadows Drive, police said in a press release.
"It is a particularly bold individual who breaks into homes in daylight," said Capt. Randall Rhyne of the Criminal Investigations Unit. "Our residents' safety is our primary concern, and we ask them to call the police department anytime they see suspicious people or activities."
Police described the thief as a man in his late teens or early 20s, who stands about 5 feet 6 inches tall.
Investigators ask anyone with information about the crimes to call the Town of Cary Police Department at 919-469-4012 or Cary Crime Stoppers at 919-460-4636.
Crime Stoppers pays up to $2,500 for information leading to the arrest or indictment of those responsible for committing certain types of crimes. All calls will be kept confidential at caller's request.
The Cary Police Department's press release reminded homeowners to:
• Use variable light timers and motion-sensitive lights to activate lights inside and outside your home
• Make sure exterior lights are mounted so that burglars cannot unscrew the bulbs
• Keep all trees and bushes neatly trimmed near doors and windows
• Make sure valuables are not visible from the street
• Work with your neighbors on watching out for one another
• Call the police if you witness any suspicious or unfamiliar vehicles and pedestrians