A Raleigh man was charged Thursday with six counts of statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl, and police said the arrest was related to a report earlier in the day that two girls had been kidnapped.
Ivan Aguilar Tobon, 28, of 3234 Calumet Drive was arrested about 2:30 p.m. at Wallingford Drive and Coral Ridge Court.
That intersection is where witnesses told police Thursday morning that it looked like two girls had been forced into a white SUV that drove away.
The charges against Tobon “stem from follow-up work” by detectives looking into the kidnapping report, police spokeswoman Laura Hourigan said.
Never miss a local story.
Police initially send media outlets an alert asking for the public to call 911 with any information about the girls and the apparent abduction. Other area police agencies were asked to be on the lookout for a white SUV.
About two hours later, police said they had found the girls uninjured and said at least one of them knew the man who was driving the SUV.
Arrest warrants charged Tobon with six counts each of statutory rape and taking indecent liberties with a minor.
The incidents happened between Sept. 1 and May 1, the warrants alleged.
Tobon and the girl involved knew each other beforehand, Hourigan said.
A magistrate set Tobon’s bail at $3 million, and he was due for a first court appearance on Friday.