The man who broke into the downtown offices of The News & Observer and First Presbyterian Church on Oct. 4 has been sentenced to 2 years of probation.
Ethan Michael Mangum, 23, a member of the U.S. Army stationed at Fort Bragg, pleaded guilty on Nov. 23 to two counts of misdemeanor breaking and entering and three counts of injury to real property.
In addition to probation, Mangum also will be required to pay $9,945 in restitution for damages to The N&O and First Presbyterian. He must pay court costs, undergo substance abuse treatment and a mental health assessment and participate in the military’s Prime For Life, an intervention program designed for people making high-risk choices.
Mangum said in Wake County court last week that he could not remember how or why he entered the newspaper or church offices. He had come to Raleigh on the weekend of the World of Bluegrass festivities to meet with friends and party.
Never miss a local story.
Mangum recalled leaving a bar before the 1 a.m. break-ins at The N&O and the church, just a block apart. But he could not recall smashing windows, overturning furniture or tossing files out a third-floor window at the newspaper office. He left a trail of blood and shattered windows at The N&O building and the church.
Mangum was spotted by people afterward at the Marriott hotel on Fayetteville Street, where people at World of Bluegrass events reported seeing a bleeding man, according to Raleigh police.
Descriptions and other information gathered from the Marriott incident led police to Fort Bragg, where Mangum was charged.
Mangum told Wake County Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt that he had not specifically targeted The N&O, adding that he had no grudge against the newspaper.