Wake County school administrators will recommend Tuesday changes to the start times for 10 schools for this fall, with most being minor and made to save money by allowing more sharing of buses among schools.
The only major proposed shift would have North Forest Pines Elementary School in North Raleigh start 90 minutes later, going from a 7:45 a.m.-2:15 p.m. schedule to a 9:15 a.m.-3:45 p.m. time. Administrators say the shift will allow North Forest Pines to share buses with Forest Pines Elementary, saving seven buses.
The other nine changes involve shifts of 10 minutes or less:
▪ Baucom Elementary School in Apex would operate 10 minutes later. from 9:15 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Wake Forest High School would operate five minutes earlier, from 7:20 a.m. to 2:13 p.m.
▪ Wake Forest Middle School would run 10 minutes later, from 7:40 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.
▪ Fuller Elementary School in Raleigh and Fuquay-Varina Elementary School would operate five minutes earlier, from 9:10 a.m to 3:40 p.m.
▪ Washington and Yates Mill elementary schools in Raleigh, Holly Springs Elementary School and Willow Springs Elementary School would run five minutes later, from 9:20 a.m. to 3:50 p.m.
Three new schools are opening for the 2015-16 school year. Apex Friendship High School will operate from 7:25 a.m. to 2:18 p.m. Abbotts Creek Elementary School in North Raleigh and Scotts Ridge Elementary School in Apex will run from 9:15 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
Administrators want the changes approved at the April 21 board meeting.