Wake County school board appoints three new principals
08/05/2014 8:06 PM
08/06/2014 2:28 PM
UPDATED: Now includes bio sheets for the principal changes made Aug. 5 and July 22.
The Wake County school board appointed new principals Tuesday for three schools.
Johneka Simmons is the new principal of Bugg Elementary School in Raleigh with a salary of $75,990. Simmons has been principal of Ebenezer Avenue Elementary School in Rock Hill, South Carolina, since 2009.
Derek Burns will become principal of Douglas Elementary School in Raleigh with a salary of $78,281. Burns has been principal of Crofton Meadows Elementary School in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, since 2012.
Bob Umstead will serve as interim principal of Baucom Elementary School in Apex to Sept. 13. Umstead retired as principal of Swift Creek Elementary School in 2013.
Click here to view the bio sheets for the principal changes made Tuesday and on July 22.
On July 22, the school system:• Named Drew Cook the new senior director of high school programs. He had been principal of Garner High School.
• Named Rebecca Beaulieu principal of East Wake Middle School near Knightdale with Roy Teel serving as interim principal until she starts.
• Named Tammy Jahad principal of Barwell Road Elementary School in Raleigh.
• Named Tina Zarzecki principal of Lake Myra Elementary School in Wendell.
• Named Robert Grant the principal of Washington Elementary School in Raleigh.
• Named Leslie Taylor the principal of Wiley Elementary School in Raleigh.
• Named Vicki Brown the interim principal of Douglas Elementary School in Raleigh.
• Named Vicki Perry interim principal of Knightdale Elementary School.
• Named Elaine Hanzer the interim principal of Lacy Elementary School in Raleigh.
Join the Discussion
News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.