Gov. Pat McCrory will not spend the budgeted $230,000 in taxpayer money to remodel bathrooms in his residence at the Executive Mansion in Raleigh after all, his spokeswoman said Saturday.
"The governor has firmly communicated to the Department of Administration that not one penny of taxpayer dollars will be used to remodel or upgrade any of the six bathrooms in the living quarters of the State of North Carolina's executive mansion. Only a very limited amount of funds will be used to repair potential code violations, treat dangerous mold and fix broken faucets," said Kim Genardo, Governor's Communications Director.
On Friday, The Associated Press elaborated on a list of $90 million in renovations of state property released earlier in the week, pointing out that one of the items was for new marble, tubs and fixtures for six bathrooms on the upper floors of the governor’s home in Raleigh.
The bathrooms renovation report was widely published and drew negative attention to the first-term governor. Democrats used it to accuse him of having misplaced priorities, considering the state’s budget woes.
The Department of Administration said the bathrooms had not been updated since the 1970s in the Victorian-era building.