Democrats launch call campaign against Renee Ellmers
04/10/2014 10:14 AM
04/10/2014 10:15 AM
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has ramped up its campaign against Congresswoman Renee Ellmers, launching paid calls to voters.
An automated phone call encourages voters to urge Ellmers, a Republican from Dunn representing North Carolina’s 2nd District, to vote against the budget plan this week. The call campaign is targeting voters in her district who have been identified as likely to vote in the 2014 general election, DCCC officials said. It began Tuesday and will continue throughout the week.
The multi-part, nationwide paid campaign, called “Battleground: Middle Class,” launched last week with web ads telling North Carolinians that Ellmer’s budget plan harms the middle class.
The phone calls tell voters that the budget plan raises taxes, ends the Medicare guarantee for seniors and costs the economy three million jobs. The campaign also says the plan gives tax breaks to corporations that send jobs overseas and benefits the wealthy.
“We are giving North Carolinians the opportunity to connect directly with Congresswoman Ellmers and tell her that they do not want her Washington budget that heaps tax breaks and handouts on special interests and the wealthiest Americans, and forces the middle class to pay the price,” said Josh Schwerin, press secretary of the DCCC, in a statement.
The DCCC did a similar campaign against Ellmers in 2011, attacking her vote to end Medicare. It declined to provide numbers of calls it is making.
Join the Discussion
News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.