Progress N.C. Action filed a second complaint with the state Board of Elections on Thursday, claiming that a campaign video featuring state Rep. Ken Goodman supporting the bond proposal violates the law.
The liberal advocacy group filed a complaint the previous day accusing Gov. Pat McCrory of impermissably mixing his re-election campaign with a pro-bond committee, which resulted in corporate contributions funding part of a TV commercial. It is illegal for candidates to accept money from corporations. Like McCrory, Goodman, a Democrat from Rockingham, is running for re-election.
The state’s top elections official last year advised the bond committee that it could air advertising that features candidates so long as it doesn’t coordinate with campaign committees. Elections Director Kim Strach said videos of candidates would be allowed if they didn’t include interview footage that was scripted.
Connect N.C., the bond committee, also produced videos of state Sen. Dan Blue, a Raleigh Democrat, and former Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton, but the footage was from a public event. McCrory and Goodman made their statements in favor of the bonds sitting in a different location.
The committee contends that complies with the law, because the interviews were conducted immediately after the public event, which kicked off the bond campaign. McCrory’s campaign spokesman said the complaint was politically motivated.