Propane heaters being used to thaw frozen water lines sparked a fire that heavily damaged a home in Durham on Friday morning, according to the fire department.
Firefighters were called to 2121 Pershing Street shortly after 9 a.m. and found heavy smoke and flames at the back of the two-story house.
A fire department spokesman said it took firefighters about 15 minutes to knock down the main fire but several hours to fully put it out, because concealed spaces created by successive renovations allowed the fire to travel to other parts of the building.
Two people were at home when the fire started, but no one was injured.
Never miss a local story.
The propane heaters used to thaw the pipes were placed too close to combustible materials, which ignited, according to fire investigators.