A look at the depth chart for the Panthers’ defensive backfield, which is trying to escape the shadow of the team’s more celebrated front seven:
1. Josh Norman: Established himself as a shutdown corner in ‘14 with his play vs. the likes of Julio Jones.
2. Bené Benwikere: Excellent ball skills; ‘Big Play Bené’ can be a difference-maker when healthy.
Never miss a local story.
1. Charles Tillman: Former Bears standout brought his ‘Peanut punch’ ball-stripping skills to Charlotte.
2. Melvin White: Steady player has starting experience and a special teams background.
1. Bené Benwikere: His size (6-foot, 195) seems better suited to cover slot receivers.
2. Colin Jones: Reserve safety one of the fastest players on the team.
1. Kurt Coleman: Smallish at 5-11 and 200, but not afraid to crash into ball-carriers.
2. Robert Lester: Started four games in 2013, but was on practice squad most of last season.
1. Roman Harper: Solid against the run last season, but struggled in coverage at times.
2. Tre Boston: Former UNC safety had 84-yard interception return for TD in division clincher.